sleep, a luxury?

BLAQUE -

"Hello Blaque, at least have the courtesy to pick up my calls. What if I had a heart attack?" Bree said as he entered my office.

"But you look alive right now," I said.

"What's going on? What happened? You never call me this urgently unless it's an emergency," Bree asked.

"My father fixed my marriage," I blurted out.

"Stop joking, but wait, you never joke. Your father, what?" he gasped.

"Yes, he did." I sighed.

"Why suddenly, and with whom?" he asked shockingly.

I told him everything that happened this morning. He was astonished and said, "Whoa! So you are marrying Heath? the Italian mafia leader, Heath Donato, who runs Donato Enterprises."

"You know him?" I asked.

"Of course, I know him; everyone in the business world is well aware of who Heath Donato is, and besides that, we worked together a few years ago, but I didn't meet him personally as his brother used to work with us."

"What's he like? I have not even seen him. How can I marry him? Also, I have heard so many unpleasant things about him." I sighed.

"Well, about that, I have also heard many unpleasant things about him, so you should be concerned," he stated.

We spent a few hours talking and discussing some business, and then he left and I got back to my work.

"Ms Anderson?" Kesley knocked on my door.

"Come in," I replied.

Kesley entered and said, "These are some files that need your signature."

"Keep them on the desk; I'll sign them before leaving," I said.

"Oh, and Ms. Anderson I searched for some information on your future husband," she said while keeping the files on my desk.

I quickly looked up from my laptop and asked, "What did you find?"

"Nothing much, just some basic information that he is a 30-year-old business tycoon who runs Donato Enterprise," she said.

"Only this much?" I asked hopelessly.

"Yes, only this much information was available. Even the photos were not there," she curled her lips in defeat.

I sighed and said, "No problem; I'll meet him this Friday anyway." By the way, thank you, Kesley, for looking up for me."

"No problem, that's my job." She smiled and left.

It was almost evening when I finished my work and left for home, but I didn't want to go as people in the house would stare at me and give me sympathetic looks, which would add to my anger. I have had anger issues since the incident, and it is difficult to even sleep as the nightmare haunts me. I sleep merely 3–4 hours. I can sleep peacefully only when I'm drunk, but I cannot drink every day and become an alcoholic.

I reached home and went straight to my room, ignoring everyone because I don't have the energy to face anyone and I'm super exhausted. I took a warm shower and wore a matching two-piece white night dress. As soon as I made my way to the bed, I saw a man standing near my bed, his back facing me. The lights in my room were dim, so I could not see his face. I tip-toed and quickly grabbed a knife from my walk-in closet. I have hidden weapons everywhere in my room, in case someone breaks in, like right now. I went swiftly, kicked the back of their knee, twisted the person's hand, dug the knife into his neck, and said,

"Who the hell are you?"

"Ouch! Blaque, it's me, Alvey," he hissed in pain.

I quickly released his hand, took back my knife, and said, "God Alvey, what are you doing sneaking into my room? What if I stabbed you before asking who you were?"

"I see that the skills I taught you are being used perfectly," he chuckled. Since I was a kid, Alvey used to train me to fight and defend myself. He taught me everything he knew because the world that we come from is ruthless, and weak people are suppressed here.

"Stop laughing; it's not funny," I grilled in annoyance.

"Anyways, why are you here? What do you want?" I asked.

"Can't a brother come into his sister's room to see her?" he asked.

"Alvey, let me get this straight: you and I both know that you are not a brother who goes into his sister's room just to see her. Tell me, what do you want?" I sighed.

"I saw you didn't come downstairs to eat, so I bought food upstairs," he said, pointing to the food kept on the table beside my bed. Alvey used to bring food every time I skipped dinner in anger.

"I am not hungry, Alvey; I am exhausted, and I need to sleep."

"I know exactly why you are not hungry, but you need to eat; don't take out your anger on food. Not everyone gets food as you do," he said.

"Fine," I sighed. I know what hunger is and what it can do to you.

As he was leaving, I called him, "Alvey?"

"Yes," he turned and said.

"Can't you do anything? Can't you stop this?" I asked him, hopefully.

"Goodnight Blaque" With that, he left.

I know Alvey would've done something if he could.
I had my food and then went to sleep. Sleeping is not a luxury that I have. I tossed and turned until sleep finally took over.

3.27 a.m.

Gasps**

It's just a nightmare, nothing else. Breathe.

I was gasping for air. I could not breathe. My chest was constricted, and I fisted my hands in the sheets. Everything felt so real. 

Slowly, the darkness of my room came into view, and reality set in. These nightmares don't leave my side. I don't know when they will go.

I went and took a shower to calm myself.

Then I wore my workout outfit and straight away went to the gym. This has been my routine. I wake up from the nightmare, shower, and then hit the gym.

After working out, I went to change and get ready for the day. It's going to be a long week.