Reminiscence

Shido's vision filled with a bright light after he kissed Mio.
When his vision cleared, he was standing next to a small group of four children who were looking down on a burning scene in front of them from a small hill. The burning land seemed to belong to a small isolated village that was being attacked by an unknown force. If he focused, he could see corpses and blood that lay scattered along the ground. The children that were on the hill had various reactions, with the two similar looking girls - he assumed they were sisters - crying, along with one golden-haired boy hugging one while closing his eyes and gritting his teeth in anger.
The outlier was a ashen-haired boy who was staring down at the scene with a smile on his face.
Although there was fury in his eyes, it seemed to be just as strong as his joy.

With a start, he realized who the people were. The two girls were Ellen and Karen Mathers. The golden-haired boy was Elliot Woodman. And the boy who was reacting bizarrely... was Isaac Ray Pelham Westcott.

It didn't seem like Shido was visible to any of them. Looking down at his hands, he saw that they were slightly translucent.

"Where.. is this?"

"Forty years ago."

He quickly looked to his left, where the familiar voice had come from.
Mio Takamiya was standing next to him with a similarily translucent body. She looked at the scene in front of her with a feigned calm and a hint of confusion.

"This appears to be a scene recreated with my power, Ain Soph. Although, I could not tell you why"

"That's Westcott, isn't it?"

The smiling boy in front of them closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He muttered something under his breath, but Shido couldn't quite catch what he said. Then, still unaware of their presence, he waved his hand towards his companions and muttered a single phrase.

"Lavare."

Mio continued on.

"Yes. I suppose this is why he created the Spirit Formula. He most likely wanted revenge on the humans that had killed his family - no, the entire human race."

A shower of light descended down on Ellen, Karen and Elliot due to Westcott's magic, cleaning up their tear-stricken faces and clothes riddled with dirt.
Westcott walked forward and faced the surprised trio.

"Stand up, everyone! Stop laying down and crying here. We need to go to the nearest city to survive. We'll climb back up, and find a way to retaliate."

A nearly manic light filled his eyes as he continued talking.

"Hey. Elliot, Ellen, Karen.

Let's create a world. One without humanity, with only magicians in it. Let's do it. They were the instigators, so why shouldn't we?"

The scene dissolved before anyone could say any more.
The next scene was seemingly in the middle of nowhere. The same four people that were in the previous scene were present here, though there was no burning village this time. They appeared to be around ten years older than previously and seemed to be carrying out some sort of ritual that seemed oddly familiar.

 "Ah!"

With a start, Shido realized what they were trying to accomplish.

"I see. This is the Spirit Formula - the original one."

Mio looked on with a complicated expression. How would it feel to witness your own birth? It was hard to imagine.

"I wonder... how much less would the world have suffered... if I was never born?"

Her soft whisper was overheard by Shido, who immediately took hold of her shoulders - or tried to. Their bodies were translucent, so they merely passed through each other. That didn't stop him from speaking, though.