4.

Chapter 4: Moria

We marched through the mine quietly. It was a long and dark journey, with Gandalf's staff emitting the only light. I could see some things with my elven sight but nothing that was enjoyable or pleasant, mainly skeletons, cobwebs, and pieces of the once prosperous mine. The slightest sound had us all on edge.

However, the deeper we went I would occasionally see a natural shimmer, like a faint light lining the walls of the caverns.

"You all should know the wealth of Moria was not in gold or gems, but Mithril." Gandalf stated and allowed his staff to shine over the edge. It illuminated veins of silver metal in the rock which reflected his light tenfold back at us. It was a glorious sight below us.

"Bilbo had a shirt made of Mithril rings that Thorin gave him." Gandalf continued. Bilbo, I had learned one night as Frodo's uncle and guardian for most of his life.

"Oh, that was a kingly gift." Gimli seemed flabbergasted.

"Yes, I never told him, but its worth was greater than the value of the Shire."

I reached up and touched my own Mithril necklace that hung around my neck under my tunic. It was the only piece of home I had left but still, I had no idea Mithril was such a precious metal.

"Legolas, who is Thorin? Gandalf spoke as if we would all know who he was."

"He was mainly known as Thorin Oakenshield for his remarkable deeds of battle. However, he was formally known as Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror. He was the last King of Erebor that was a direct descendent of Durin. He fell in the Battle of the Five Armies, about sixty years ago."

"How did Bilbo know him if he was a Dwarf King from the East?"

"That my curious little Maethriel is a story for another day and best not told by a biased party such as Legolas." Gandalf chuckled obviously hearing my question.

Several hours later, we came to three doors after climbing vertical stairs. There was a decent amount of space on the landing, which was a relief.

"I have no memory of this place." Gandalf said looking confused at the three archways.

Everyone went in different directions to find a space to rest. Aragorn and Boromir even risked building a small fire for some additional warmth. Legolas went down a few stairs to another small landing. I went and sat with him. He looked my way and smiled wearily. We were both uncomfortable underground. But, being in the mine was not the only thing that was weighing me down. The mine had me fearful of the creatures that killed my family could be lurking in the shadows.

"The air is so close in here." I spoke softly elvish.

"All the deaths here put an unnatural weight to the air." He responded solemnly.

"Your eyes show fear. What is wrong? I have not seen this in you before." I looked at him, his eyes held a deep fear. Legolas was always so calm and seemed fearless.

"As Gandalf said, far worse things lie in these mines than Orcs." He knew something and wasn't telling me.

"You know of them?"

"Sadly, yes, but you need not worry. We hope to go unnoticed." He said putting his hand on my knee in an attempt to comfort me.

"I just feel unnerved...anxious...about what is to come."

"Elves were not meant to be underground; it is messing with your mind. Try to rest."

"It's not just that Legolas. I'm always scared, always sad, as of late. Since I saw the first Orc enter my village, I haven't been at peace. I keep thinking if I close my eyes even for a moment, they will come and take us when we let our guard down. I lost my family. I cannot lose you. I couldn't see anyone in the group gone." A tear fell for the first time in a few weeks.