17.

*Warning/Possible Triggers: it's a pretty angsty chapter*

Chapter 17:

I had fallen asleep in Legolas' arms as the sadness fully overtook me. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Aragorn was dead. I woke to the sun shining on my face through the window and slowly sat up. I looked around and wiped the sleep from my eyes. I got up, left his side, and found my bag before stepping into the small washroom that adjoined our room. I pulled on my dark green tunic, brown leggings, and my brown boots before going back into the room. Legolas was now sitting up on the bed completely dressed, looking distraught while twirling something in his hands.

"I didn't mean to wake you." I whispered coming close to him and running a hand through his hair but he pulled away.

"I've been awake a long while. I was waiting for you." He said standing with hardened eyes.

"What is it Legolas?" I said tilting my head. We all grieve differently and apparently, he reached the anger phase.

"I know this isn't the best time, but I need answers." His harsh tone confused me.

"Answers to what?" I asked very confused. What answers could he seek that could cause such a drastic change in him besides our dear friend's death?

"This Maethriel." He held up my immortality necklace. I reached up to run my hand over my chest in hopes that it wasn't mine. Nothing but bare skin; my heart stopped.

"How did you get that?" The words left my mouth before I could stop them. I planned on telling him soon so he may not see it as a willingly withheld secret. So anger and misunderstanding would not plague his response as it is now.

"It must have fallen off last night. I found it while you were singing your mortal mother's lullaby." His tone got harder, disgusted almost at the end.

"Legolas, please, let me explain."

"I am all ears. Tell me why I shouldn't walk away right now. I trusted you, obviously, you do not trust me." He snapped looking away from me.

"I do trust you, more than you could possibly fathom. You don't understand my situation or the circumstances I am held in." I mumbled putting my head down and fighting tears. He was beyond reason at this point with his own assumptions.

"I understand perfectly. You lied about your race since day one and I was a fool for not seeing it! Your mortal traits are there in plain sight: light brown hair, bright green eyes, tanner skin, and natural skill with a sword. I was simply blind to it all." It seemed my human characteristics were clear as day and he denied them all subconsciously.

"Listen to me, please." I put my hand to his cheek begging.

"Yes, I am half mortal for my mother was human as you've figured out. However, what you don't know is why I didn't tell you. Why I couldn't tell you." I said pleading.

"I'm listening." His eyes closed. I could see the internal battle going on inside him. He was angry but he had hope there was reason behind my lies and secrets. And there was if he would truly be open to listening.

"My mother was of a broken lineage. I was hidden for my own safety to preserve it."

"What line of humans is so important that you must lie to me of all people?" He raised his voice, almost yelling.

"The line of Isildur." His face paled and eyes widened at my words, shock clearly written across his features.

"That is not possible." He mumbled in disbelief.