13.

Chapter 13:

I sat in front of Legolas and he wrapped his hands around me to reach the reins. During the day, we stopped only a few times to give Arod a break and water. At night, we would sleep next to each other watching the stars and talking. We spoke about many things from his home in Mirkwood to the journey ahead and other topics. I could tell Legolas anything... well almost everything. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell him the secrets of my heritage; I couldn't. I gave Lady Galadriel my word and despite my near-death experience, I knew the more people that knew the more danger would find me and those I held dear.

Two days later, we crested a hill and saw the once-great settlement of Edoras before us. He patted Arod and whispered words of praise to the steed. He was truly a good horse.

"Why do two elves wish to enter our city? What business do you have here?" A guard stopped us outside the main gate.

"I am Legolas of the Woodland Realm and this is Maethriel of Lorien. We are friends of Gandalf the White." I tensed at his words. The others should have arrived late yesterday but was it safe? Did Gandalf achieve that which he came to do? Or were we walking into a trap?

"Any friend of Gandalf is welcome! Our city is in his debt. He is in the Golden Hall giving Council to Théoden king as we speak." The guard praised before opening the doors and allowing us passage.

"Thank you." Legolas nodded before encouraging Arod forward. Upon passing the gate, Legolas insisted we draw our hoods to hinder any more unwanted attention to our race. Elves were not always looked at with grateful glances, especially in the realms of men. The town was dreary but I could see some mixed emotions in the people's eyes. We reached the great hall of the city, which had pillars of gold at its main support.

After slowly ascending the stairs, he took my hand and we entered the palace of Rohan. A door attendant named Hama asked us our names and our purpose. Legolas once again replied lowering his hood slowly to show his ears.

"Welcome master and lady elves, the king will welcome you on his own accord. The death of his son is still fresh in his heart." The prince of Rohan is dead; this is very ill news for this kingdom.

"We understand, we simply seek our companions at this time." I nodded toward the stout man.

"The rest of your party is in the main hall. Continue forward and follow the corridor." He motioned towards an archway.

We walled ahead as instructed and saw Aragorn and Gimili sitting at a table talking. Both had their pipes out and mugs of drink in front of them. As they saw us, relief appeared first then grins took over their features.

"Gimili, I believe I won." Aragorn spoke his smile growing larger. I looked at the pair with confusion written on my face.

"Indeed, you win lad." Gimili said handing the man a leaf full of smoking weed, most likely old Toby.

"What was that about?"

"We made a bet lassie, over you and the elf. Aragorn said you'd be courting upon arriving."

"What did you bet Gimili?"

"That there'd be an elfling on the way, but alas, the light of motherhood is not shining in your eyes." The dwarf chuckled mischievously but I blushed scarlet at his words.

"No Gimili that is not a possibility!" Legolas corrected their surely traveling thoughts.

"I'm still shocked the elf made any kind of move. I thought I was going to have to tell the lass myself." He said taking a long breath of his pipe.

"On another note, what has happened in our absence?" Legolas asked releasing my hand after making sure I was sitting safely next to Aragorn.

"Gandalf freed the king from Saruman's spell and we patiently await his next move. However, the Prince's funeral is in three hours' time. Theodred was slain by a band of Saruman's orcs and died just yesterday morn before our arrival. The King is deep in grief for his son." Aragorn stated solemnly.