chapter three

ella

The fact that today is my last first day of high school makes me want to vomit.

I mean, it's genuinely gross to think about. How am I a senior and going to college next year? It feels like just yesterday I was an eager freshman ready to experience all high school had to offer me, and now I'm committed to play college soccer at my dream school.

Unfortunately, there is a downside. This is my last ever school year with Sadie and Morgan, because they won't be playing at Minnesota with me. Morgan is committed to play at Yale, which I don't blame her for. She's been chasing that dream like I've been chasing Minnesota, so I understand why she immediately accepted their offer as soon as it was given to her. Sadie originally wanted to stay close to home for school, but then committed to play at Boston College when they gave her an offer she couldn't refuse.

It's definitely sad to think about, because I've been going to school with them for my entire life. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next year without them, but I'm going to cross that bridge when I get there and enjoy the time we still have left together.

I'm actually in a decent mood as I pull into my spot in the senior parking lot. Sure, the fact that I can drive and have an assigned spot in the senior parking lot is slightly horrifying, but it just means I'm growing up. And as much as I hate it, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

As I walk into the school building that's been a constant in my life for the past three years, a bittersweet feeling washes over me. This is really it. My final year at Eden Hall has officially started, and it's only a matter of time until I'm walking across the stage at graduation.

"Ella!" I hear someone call. I turn around to see Sadie walking towards me, a four-pouch tray of coffee in her hands and a bright smile on her face. "I figured I'd get you something special for our last first day together." she says warmly, holding out the tray to me.

I thank her and take one of the coffees out of its pouch, then take a second to admire her look. She's wearing a light green mini dress with puffy sleeves, some white sandals, and her usual jewelry. Her long red locks are loosely curled, and her makeup looks as good as ever.

"Also, you look amazing." I exclaim, grabbing her hand and spinning her around. She laughs as I do, which draws the attention of quite a few people.

One of them being Adam.

We instantly find each other's eyes, and I feel my breath slightly hitch. I want to look away, but I don't. It's like his eyes have a chokehold on me, and I can't ever look away from them. It also isn't helping that he looks really good. And I mean really good.

Don't get me wrong, that light blue polo shirt looks amazing on him. It compliments his muscles perfectly and makes them look huge, which is already true to begin with. Although, I bet it would look way better on my floor after I-

"Looks like you and lover boy have realized you're matching." Sadie teases, because she's clearly seen us staring at each other. I look down to what I'm wearing and curse at myself in my head, because of course it's just my luck that I end up matching Adam on my last first day of high school, especially when we're broken up.

While it's definitely a bit embarrassing to be matching with him, I like what I'm wearing and won't let him take away from that. I put off wearing this dress for the entire summer, because I knew I wanted to wear it specifically for today. It's a light blue mini dress with lace detailing, and I think it's my favorite dress I've ever owned. It's that beautiful.

Also, besides the fact that I dressed up today because my friends and I took some pictures for our last first day together, I'm not going to lie and pretend I didn't dress up because I knew I'd be seeing Adam at least a few times today. It's not like my excuse would have any value though... because everyone, including myself, knows that I'm not over him.

I'm also not over our little... incident from last weekend, which is not good at all. If I keep thinking about it, I'll end up wanting him back even more than I already do. All he's done since the start of summer break is confuse me, and what happened last weekend has only helped in making it worse.

Like, I seriously don't get it. He broke up with me, but was all over me whenever we saw each other over break. He was wasted pretty much every single one of those times, but I like to think that drunk words and actions are sober thoughts. If they weren't, then he's just being a jerk and messing with me for no reason.

I finally snap myself out of my trance, because I suddenly realize I've been staring at him for a good few minutes now. I feel incredibly embarrassed, and turn around to see Sadie with a huge grin on her face. "Don't start." I plead, covering my face with my hand. "I can't believe I just did that."

"Did you enjoy the view?" she asks, a huge smirk on her face. "Actually, I don't know why I just asked you that. It definitely seemed like you were, considering the fact that you didn't take your eyes off him for a good two minutes."

"Ha ha, very funny." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes at her. "You should consider doing stand-up comedy, you're just that funny."

Sadie's smirk only grows bigger, and she giggles at my unamused expression. "I know, I'm the best. As much as I love you and would love to stay and talk, I gotta go. I want to make sure Morgan and Charlie get their coffees, and that I get to class on time."

And speak of the devil, Charlie comes walking right up to us. He throws an arm around Sadie's shoulder and pulls her into him, placing a kiss on the side of her head. "Hi gorgeous."

"Hi Char." she responds, and the smile on her face couldn't be any bigger. She holds out the tray to him, suddenly becoming very shy. "I bought you coffee. I hope you don't mind."

"Why would I mind?" Charlie asks as he takes one. "That's ridiculous to even think about. This was really nice of you, so thank you."

I watch as Sadie visibly relaxes, then smooths out her dress with her free hand. She waves to me as Charlie starts to walk forward, and I'm suddenly by myself again. Not that I mind, but it would be nice to have a boyfriend to always walk with.

The warning bell rings, so I start the walk to my first period class. Although senior year has definitely started off on an interesting note, I'm not necessarily mad about it. I'm ready for whatever this year has in store for me, no matter what gets thrown my way.