chapter seventeen

adam

Being a four-time state champion feels really fucking good.

Between the final seconds of the game, the girls, the celebration, the girls, the parties, the girls, the alcohol... oh, did I mention the girls? It's safe to say I'm on Cloud Nine and won't be coming down for a while.

I find it so crazy how I used to hate the attention that came with being a superstar. I guess being humble rather than an arrogant asshole kept me in check, but I think I deserve to brag a little... especially now.

I mean, think about it. No one else on my team has won four straight state championships, is committed to a college team as good as mine... well not yet anyway, and has won the award for All-State High School Athlete of the Year two out of three years. And, I've been told there are rumors swirling that I'm going to win it again this year too.

It would've been cool to have won it all four years of high school, but at least I'll probably get three of them. Of course someone had to take the award from me last year, but I didn't mind it when it happened. Seeing my then-girlfriend win it gave me feelings of pride I didn't even know was possible, and I didn't want anyone else besides her to share that accomplishment with. But now, I wish she hadn't won it at all.

Maybe it's just me being selfish, but I really hate that she won it. After everything that's gone on between us recently, I've realized how much I actually despise her. Well... maybe not despise, but I definitely haven't been her biggest fan recently.

To be fair, I'm not entirely innocent when it comes to our history. There are definitely some things that I've done that I shouldn't have, no excuses. However, like I've said before, I don't use other people as leverage in order to get revenge. In all honesty, I find it ridiculous and maybe even a little immature.

Anyway, I get the notification that a scouting account has posted on Instagram, probably with my final stats for the year. However to my surprise, that's not the first thing I see when I open the app.

Instead, I'm met with this...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~