chapter fifteen

adam

Alex Larson has a lot of fucking explaining to do.

And I mean a lot of it.

I can't tell if I want to have him explain while my fist is in his face, or if I want to sit down with him like a normal person. I guess we'll find out later though, since tonight is our big matchup against Hill-Murray.

Maybe it's just been this way since my friends and I were sophomores, but Hill-Murray has quickly become our biggest rival. It wasn't this way when I was a freshman, because we destroyed everyone we played. But since sophomore year, all everyone talks about is Hill-Murray and Eden Hall's rivalry.

I don't know if Alex and I had a part to play in starting that rivalry after our fight sophomore year, but I can't lie and say it didn't start a fire in both of our teams. The aftermath of the fight was just a bunch of blaming each other for what happened and why we both got so pissed off, which all just exploded from there.

Things could change when my friends and I graduate this year, but I hope they don't. Minnesota high school hockey was missing the big rivalry everyone knew, and I helped create what they were dying to see back again. I guess that makes me a little biased, but I really hope it will continue long after I leave.

"Mr. Banks! Are you going to answer my question or keep staring off into space?"

I snap my attention to the front, where my English teacher looks less than pleased. Mrs. Ellis is staring at me with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face, clearly annoyed to discover that I wasn't paying attention.

"Sorry." I mutter, clearing my throat. "What was the question again?"

She sighs dramatically and rolls her eyes, but asks the question nonetheless. "What was Shakespeare trying to accomplish when he wrote Macbeth?"

I shrug. "Didn't he write it to support the reign of King James the first or something?"

"That is correct." she answers, still glaring at me. "Don't let me catch you with your attention not on this class again."

I don't say anything in return, because I know I'll get kicked out if I do. Instead, I just purse my lips together and give a small nod of compliance. I can't necessarily blame her though, because I wasn't paying attention at all. But then again, she should know better than to put me on the spot like that, thinking I wouldn't get the answer right.

Once the bell rings to signal the end of the period, I get out of there as fast as I can. My tie feels like it's suffocating me, even more so now that I have to go to lunch and see Ella. I fumble with it as I walk towards the dining hall, desperately trying to make it looser.

Ever since I found out that her and Larson are dating, I've done my best to stay as far away from her as possible. Partly because I can't even look at her without getting upset, but also because I'm afraid of what I might say. I just can't trust myself not to be a dick, so it's best that I keep my distance.

When I get to my table, I sit down and zone out again. I'm not hungry at all, so it's not like I can eat as a way to try and distract myself. I'm also in no mood to talk to anyone right now, so I can't use that as a distraction either. In all honestly, I just need to get out of here.

I stand up and grab my stuff, ignoring all of my teammates' comments and questions. I don't blame them, considering I was in there for maybe two minutes at most. I walk out of the dining hall and don't stop until I'm back in my dorm room, sitting down on my bed with my head in my hands.

It's probably better that I'm letting it all out now instead of later, because I don't want to be distracted during the game and make a game-costing mistake. Besides, I'm alone now. I don't have to worry about anyone seeing me upset. Like I've said before, the one thing I hate the most is showing emotion in front of people.