chapter sixteen

ella

There's a feeling of sadness that washes over me as I sit in the locker room, scrolling on my phone while Morgan braids my hair.

This is it, the last game that I'll ever be playing in high school. The last game I'll ever play with my friends, and the last game I'll play representing Eden Hall.

It's bittersweet to think about, how the last four years of playing for this team have completely changed my life. I went from an eager freshman ready to make an impact to a committed senior, all in the blink of an eye. Even with all of the adversity I've faced, I wouldn't change any of it for the world. It's helped make me who I am today, and I owe this program everything.

Once Morgan finishes my hair, I get up from the bench to let Sadie take my place. It's already hard trying to hold back tears, so I take it upon myself to walk out of the locker room and towards the training room, where Tavia is most definitely setting up her stuff.

"Crazy to think you'll be here for real next year, huh?" she asks as I walk through the door.

"Don't remind me." I respond, hopping up onto one of the exam tables. "I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of Eden Hall yet."

"That may be." she answers with a shrug, grabbing the tape and ace bandages. "But you're going to have to, whether you like it or not. Besides, you get to play in this stadium for the next four years. Might as well get used to it now."

Instead of answering, I just nod and let her start doing her job. If I want any shot at playing well in this final, I'm going to need my ankle to be wrapped and ready to go. I've got my third state championship on the line, and I'm not taking any risks. It doesn't matter that I've already won two of them, that's in the past and they mean nothing if we don't win tonight.

As Tavia continues her wrapping job, I take the moment to become familiar with my surroundings. This training room, that locker room, and the field that I'll be stepping onto soon enough hold four years of future memories, all of which begin after tonight. While I'm excited for them to begin, I'm going to savor every moment of high school soccer I have left.

When Tavia is done wrapping my ankle, I hop off the table and start for the door. All of a sudden, I feel a hand on my shoulder and I'm turned around so that I'm facing her. "Go get 'em kid. You were destined for this."

I immediately throw my arms around her and give her the biggest hug I can. She's been through it all with me, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to leave her too. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to be in my third straight state final. But with all of this excitement comes sadness, because I know I won't have this opportunity ever again.

I guess that's what being a senior means, even though I'm well aware of it. It doesn't make it any easier though, so like Tavia said... I might as well get used to it now.

~

Surprisingly enough, I have absolutely no nerves as I walk with the team onto the field. I'm not sure if this calmness is something to be afraid of, but I'm refusing to let it bother me regardless. Worrying about the little things will end up causing me to make a game-costing mistake, so it's better that I just focus on playing well and nothing else.

I throw my bag down on the bench and use that moment to scan the crowd. Almost everyone from our school is here, in a sea of red, white, black, and gold. Within seconds, I find our friends. They're all packed at the front row, decked out in different "Eden Hall Girls Soccer" clothing from over the past four years... or at least most of them are.