chapter nineteen

adam

I'm pissed off.

First of all, being woken up at four-fifteen in the morning on New Year's Day when I was piss drunk and had just fallen asleep at most an hour prior was not fun. Not even in the slightest. But that's not the only issue, and it's not even the real reason why I'm a few seconds away from putting a hole in my wall when I get home.

No, the real issue is what Logan Christiansen decided to post on her Instagram story. I don't know if she thought no one would see it, but boy was she wrong. In the two days it's been since she posted it, I've been sent it more times than I can count, and of course EHI has also made it into a huge deal.

I can't catch a fucking break.

I'm dreading leaving my car, because I can guarantee people are going to start talking as soon as I step out of it. I hate the attention I already know it's obviously been bringing, which is weird considering I've been basking in it the past month and a half. I mean, I don't mind being talked about when it's positive, but when it's negative, I'd much rather crawl into a hole and disappear.

In my head, I'm going over every late excuse I can think of so that I can sit in here a bit longer. However, that all goes away when Russ knocks on my window, Goldberg and Averman standing next to him. "You alright in there Cake Eater?"

"Better than ever." I respond sarcastically as I roll down my window. "I can't go in there."

"Well why not?" Averman asks, which gets him a dirty look from me and a look of shock from Russ.

"Are you dumb?" Russ questions, rubbing his temples in disbelief. "Lester my man, please tell me you're just playing with us and you actually know what's been going down with Cake Eater over here."

All of a sudden, it looks like a lightbulb goes off in Averman's head as he realizes that he does in fact know what the last few days have entailed for me. "Oh yeah, you're right!"

"I pity you Averman, I really do." Goldberg says through a choked laugh. "And I thought I was the dumbest on the team."

As Averman gives Goldberg the finger, he laughs it off and turns back to me. "Banksie my man, you got this! Believe in yourself and walk in there like the beauty you are. Don't let some attention-seeking puck bunny stop you from being the man-candy we all know and love."

"Goldberg..." I answer slowly. "Did you just call me man-candy?"

"Sure did!" he confidently replies, and that's all it takes for Russ to start losing it. He's laughing so hard that he can't even breathe, and even I manage to crack a smile. That's the best thing about Goldberg. He says whatever's on his mind and has absolutely no shame in it. You can't not love a guy like him.

Now that Russ has finally calmed down, I heave out a sigh and get out of my car, reluctantly slinging my backpack over my shoulder. I can already feel eyes watching my every move, and my skin crawls more with each step I take.

Fuck Logan. Fuck this. Fuck everything.

When I reach my locker, the devil herself comes rushing up to me and it takes everything in me to keep my cool. "Adam, can we please talk?"

"No." My tone is not in any way rude, but it's not the nicest either. I don't have the time for this, nor do I care to make time for her.