chapter five

ella

This weekend was a nightmare.

The one thing I promised myself and my friends that I wouldn't do, I ended up doing anyway. I'm sure you can guess what it is, because it shouldn't really come as a shock.

But seriously, what was the point of Adam breaking up with me if he's just going to keep convincing me into hooking up with him? He knows I'll fold every single time, and it's not like I can even defend myself this time by saying I was drunk. I hadn't even finished a full drink when he came up to me, and I still let him drag me away.

I definitely need to work on my self control.

I also need to work on my concentration, because this is not at all what I should be focusing on right now. This calculus isn't going to solve itself, and my boy problems sure as hell aren't going to solve it either. After a very unsuccessful attempt at doing my worksheet, the bell rings and I'm off to lunch.

I like having math right before lunch this year, because I can actually relax and focus on the rest of my day. When I had math at the end of the day during freshman and sophomore year, it was the absolute worst. I was always stressed, and it would last all day. Although it isn't as good as having math first period, I'll still take it.

I'm surprisingly the first person at the table, which is a very rare occurrence. I'm not very good with timing, so I'm usually one of the last people in here. Maybe having calculus before lunch is really a blessing in disguise, because I never want to be in there. If this keeps up, I'll actually be here on time more often.

Our table is right in the middle of the dining hall, which is both helpful and annoying. It's annoying because there's always people around us, and we usually bump into at least one person every time we stand up to go throw something out or go to a different table for whatever reason. But because we're surrounded by so many people, we always get to hear everything going on. It isn't really that helpful when you think about it, but I'd consider it somewhat useful.

And, it has just proven to be very useful.

The table to the left of us is where the field hockey team sits, and we've always had issues with them. Not only are they annoying, they're also the puck bunnies of all puck bunnies. They constantly are trying to get with anyone from the hockey team that they can, whether they're dating someone or not.

I know my teammates and I definitely shouldn't be judging, especially since a lot of us are or have been involved with players on the hockey team. We can't help it though. The difference between us and the field hockey girls is that we actually do pull the guys, whereas the field hockey girls still try to get even an ounce of attention paid on them.

Anyway, the fact that their table is right next to ours has proven to be very useful today. I'm just starting to unwrap my sandwich when I hear one of the girls in my grade, Logan Christiansen, start gushing to one of her teammates. "Oh my god, Layla. You will never believe who I hooked up with on Friday night."

"Who?"

"Adam Banks."

Within seconds, my stomach is at my feet. What the hell?

"Oh my gosh! Did you really?"

Please be lying, please be lying, please be lying.

"Yes! You know how long I've been waiting for this to happen."

"I know! How was it?"

I know I shouldn't be listening. He's my ex, and what he does in his free time is really none of my business. But it has to do with me this time, because I made out with him on Friday night too. And right now, I need all the details I can get.