chapter four

adam

Another Friday night, another party at my house.

It seems like this is all I do nowadays, but it doesn't happen as often as everyone makes it seem. It's just that it's the beginning of the year, so parties are happening pretty much every weekend.

And besides, I don't even know why I'm complaining about hosting. I've been the main host since sophomore year, and I honestly don't mind it. I have chill parents who are out of town almost every weekend for work and a big house with a lot of space, so it has always worked for me.

Even though the party doesn't start for another few minutes, Charlie and Guy have already been here for over an hour. It shouldn't be a shock to be honest, because they're my two best friends and favorite pregame partners. They also give great advice, which is what I'm currently asking them for.

"I just don't get it." I huff out, downing my shot of some expensive ass whisky from my dad's liquor cabinet and immediately grabbing the bottle to pour another.

"Get what, Banksie?" Charlie chuckles, his shot glass still full. "If you want me and Guy to help, we kinda need context."

I down my new shot, and make a face at the potent taste of the liquor. I place the glass on the counter and sigh heavily. "Ella. I just don't get her."

"I'm not following." Guy admits, a confused expression on his face. "But then again, I'm also drunk as hell right now. What's in this shit Banksie? It's getting me fucked up."

I wave my hand dismissively in regards to his question. "Do you really think I know? I just grabbed it and hoped it would do the trick, which it's definitely doing. And I don't get Ella because she's been so weird lately. Like, I get I broke up with her and shit. I know it was my fault and I shouldn't be complaining. But I thought everything was fine, especially after last weekend when we spent the last hour of the stupid party up in my room."

Charlie starts laughing hysterically, which causes me to glare at him. "That's exactly why she's being weird Banksie. Boy, you're really drunk."

"Shut up Conway." I mumble, pouring and taking my third shot in the last few minutes. "Forget I asked you anything."

This shot seems to hit harder than the others, because I'm starting to feel warm and the world is slowly starting to spin. I need to slow myself down if I want to be alive by the end of the night, because I've had five or six shots of strong liquor in the hour that Charlie and Guy have been here.

We sit in awkward silence for a few minutes, until I decide I've had enough of it and walk out to the backyard. I turn on the music and watch as my friends walk outside, each with a beer in hand. Charlie has one in his other hand too, which he holds out to me once he and Guy have reached where I'm sitting.

Definitely a good idea for us to switch over now, because beer won't make us as sick later and doesn't get us drunk as fast. Besides, we already drank what we needed to get us the buzz we wanted. I don't know about Guy and Charlie, but I'm not looking to black out tonight. I'm really in no mood to wake up with a raging headache, so limited beer for the rest of the night is a very good idea to me.

Just as we're fully relaxed on the couch, my back gate opens and in comes a swarm of people. Most of them are just my teammates and other sports teams, but that's still a lot of people regardless. It isn't long before my backyard is completely full, and I'm quickly becoming grateful that I haven't moved from my spot on the couch.

I'm aimlessly people watching when I suddenly spot Ella, and I feel my breath catch in my throat. How can someone be so aimlessly perfect?

It's genuinely unreal how good she looks. The little black set thing that she's wearing is leaving a lot to be seen, which I have mixed feelings about. I try not to focus on just that though, because her outfit is honestly just the cherry on top to her already gorgeous face.