chapter fourteen

adam

This party blows.

I thought that hosting my last ever high school Halloween party would be fun, but so far it's been everything but that.

First off, it's fucking freezing outside and I'm standing here in nothing but a toga. Sure, the Greek god costume idea for us senior Ducks was cool at first, but I don't think Charlie and Averman took into account how cold it'd be.

Not only that, but Connie and Julie aren't even doing the costume with us. They decided to ditch for the girls and whatever they're doing instead, because it's apparently so good that they can't tell us. We're also supposed to be very surprised, so I can only imagine the crazy thing they've come up with for this is.

It's not much longer before I hear a bunch of wolf whistles, so I turn my head in the direction of the gate and search for the cause of the noise. All of a sudden, I see figures emerge into the light and quickly realize it's the girls. And boy oh boy, surprised is an understatement to what I'm feeling right now.

The eight of them stand there in pink satin pajama sets with the shirt unbuttoned to show off a white lace bra, not to mention the wings and halos to top off the already over-the-top costume. Connie was right... all of us are shocked.

The attention starts to die down and it takes most of the guys no time at all to walk over to them, every other girl forgotten. I try to keep to myself and focus on anything but Ella in that costume, because my mind is going to not appropriate places. If I want her back, the last thing I want to do is say something stupid or piss her off in some way.

I take a long drink of my beer to fix my very dry throat, and casually make my way over to where all of my friends are standing. "Nice costume." I say to Ella lightly, giving her a small nod of approval. "Aren't you freezing?"

She grins, and my heart does a small victory flip. "I could ask you the same thing. I think you're wearing less clothes than I am."

"Are you sure?" I ask, a teasing tone in my voice. "Because last time I checked, a bra doesn't count as a shirt. I'm at least mostly covered."

"If by covered you mean a white cloth that leaves you basically half naked, then sure. Whatever you need to tell yourself to help you sleep at night." she responds, matching my playful demeanor.

I can tell everyone else is shocked, considering they're all silently watching this happen. I don't blame them though, especially because this is the first time we've talked in over two weeks. But at least I'm trying, and that has to count for something.

Baby steps.

~

Even though I said before that this party sucked, I was lying. I don't think I've had this much fun at one of my parties in a long time.

It's been around an hour since Ella and I had our conversation, and I've been on Cloud Nine ever since then. I've played a bunch of beer pong, talked to lots of people, taken lots of pictures, and overall have been enjoying myself. The effect this girl has on me is crazy.

Once I tire my voice out from talking, I wander over to the couch and take the seat next to Fulton. We start people watching for a bit until there's suddenly loud cheering coming from the gate. I sit up and watch as a bunch of my future Minnesota teammates come crashing in, including Alex Larson.

I'll admit, at first I wasn't exactly happy when I found out that Larson and I are going to be playing together again. I won't deny that he's a great player, because the evidence is in his talent and work ethic. But given our history, I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about it just yet.

Larson and another guy I knew back from peewees, Jaxon Reese, are the only ones not matching with the rest of the group. While most of them are dressed in sweatshirts with different sports jerseys overtop, Larson and Jaxon are in full blown fireman suits. Or really, just the suit pants with only suspenders to hold them up. And of course, you can't forget the huge hats.

First of all, I really don't get how they aren't freezing right now. It has to be in the forties or something and they're parading around with no shirt in sight. Also, where the hell did they get those fire hats from? I know for a fact they didn't just buy them online, so I guess one of them has a relative who let them borrow the hats for the party.

None of that was at all relevant, but the last five minutes have left me absolutely baffled. I only invited them out of pity, thinking they'd only show up if they had nothing else to do. I didn't actually think they'd come, considering I barely know most of them.

Anyway, I decide to try and pay attention to the conversation my teammates are having around me. I probably should, since zoning out around a group of people is rude, but I'm too busy people watching. I don't know why I keep scanning the crowd, it's not like I'm going to see anything interest... what the hell?

There's no fucking way this is happening... again.

"Yo Banksie, are you okay?" Fulton asks, noticing my sudden change in attitude. "You look like you're about to explode."

"Tell me I'm fucking lying." I hiss out. "Tell me I'm fucking lying right now."

"Tell you what dude?" Luis chimes in. "We can't help you unless you tell us what you're so worked up over."

Instead of pointing, I give a slight nod in the direction of the problem. "Look."

I don't turn to see if my friends are looking at what I'm currently looking at, but I'm sure they see it. I'm sure they see Larson standing behind Ella, with his arms draped over her shoulders as he holds her close. I'm sure they see the way she's leaning into him and whispering into his ear, the way he instantly smiles at whatever she said to him. I'm sure they see that even though they're standing in a circle full of people, their only focus is on each other. And how Ella's friends, my friends, don't even look phased.

"Oh no." I hear someone whisper from behind me. I think it was Goldberg, but I'm not too sure. It's hard to focus on really much of anything right now.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, turning me around to face my friends. "Adam, look at me." Connie says firmly, forcing my face in her direction. "Don't pay them any attention. They're not worth it."

"Did you know?" I snap, catching her off guard. "Did you fucking know?"

"Hey, calm down." Guy steps in, instinctively pulling Connie close to him. "I'm sure she didn't know."

I roll my eyes and laugh dryly. "Oh yeah, because that would explain why everyone else in their costume seems to know. That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?"

"Adam I didn't know, I swear!" Connie replies defensively. "I promise you I had absolutely no idea, and neither did Julie. We would've told you if we knew. You should know that."

"Whatever." I mumble, standing up from the couch. "The party's over. Tell everyone to go home."

"Adam you don't mean that-" Averman starts, but I whip round and cut him off immediately.

"I just said, tell everyone to go home. The party's over."

*a/n*
i hate this chapter sm but please don't hate me and i'm sorry for all the cursing
that's all see you soon byeeeeeee