Twenty Eight.

I grabbed my coat and walked towards the gathering.

I was lost in my thoughts, I wasn't even concentrating

I felt a hand wrap mine, and I looked up to see Ovie.

He smiled down at me.
"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm alright" I replied as he kissed my forehead.

"Miss Jasmine; the only daughter and child of the deceased will now be called upon to speak"

I looked around as everyone turned to me.

I took a deep breath and walked forward. I remember seeing an email from dad that I was gonna say something, but I was too busy trying to get my shit together that I didn't think about it.

"Um...," I cleared my throat. "Hello everyone..I'm Jasmine.. I lost my mom, and even though I didn't have the best relationship with her when she was alive, I'll miss her..there's no need to go into details because it's my life, and it's personal.. but, i think you should just cherish life with people who you love. It's an easier way to live. Thank you"

*** *** ***
My dad organized a small get together in a hall close to the house. It wasn't anything major, it was just to honour his wife.

My friends were at a table, and I walked to them.

"Hey hey" I smiled as I sat down.

"Hey Jas" Joan smiled at me.

"Are you okay?," Amarachi asked. "No one's gonna take the death of their mom so calmly"

"I'll be fine," I smiled at her.

"I'm just glad you're okay" Ovie smiled.

"And, I wanna thank all of you for sticking with me.. I mean..I'm a very shitty person..-."

"There's no lie in that" Joan said.

"I'll let that slide" I said with a chuckle.

"But you all made sure I was okay. I may not be the best at showing how I feel, but you all didn't give up on me. And for that, I'd love to say thank you"

"Bring it innn!" Amarachi cheered as we leaned in for a tight hug.

After we let go, we were served some food.

"You're so beautiful " I heard Ovie whisper.

I chuckled. "Thank you"

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

"Well, it'll take time before I actually get myself together," I smiled at him. "But, I just hate the fact that some people who weren't there for me are trying to be sympathetic now... You didn't care about me earlier, so why now?" I said

"That's pretty normal in every family...there'll always be the people like that"

"It's annoying" I sighed.