Chapter 19

The early morning sun shone though my window, casting orange across my face as I stared up at the ceiling.

I had been in bed for 12 hours, but those weren't full hours of sleep. I felt as though I woke up every 15 minutes, the familiar feeling of anxiety and depression consuming me.

Throughout the night, I kept opening my door and peaking out into the main area, spotting the now four cots in a dimly lit corner. Ghost actually slept, and seeing his large form under the blankets eased my anxiety slightly.

I groaned as I sat up, my eyes heavy from the lack of sleep. Something still felt off, and I took no time in getting myself dressed to see what it was.

I opened my door to see the usual. Soldiers scattered around the main area, a few were putting in new windows as the others just walked about with coffees in hand. But, what was different, made my heart sink. The cots were gone.

Panic started to bubble inside me, and I accidentally bumped into a large body. I glanced up to see Bridges bright green eyes staring down at me, a slight smile of amusement on his face. " What's up with you? Graves get ya in your sleep?"

" Where are they?" I snapped, my panic fading into anger.

" 141? They're gone. Their chopper just left," Bridges replied, his tone growing serious as he added, " It's for the best. Honestly if they weren't here to begin with, Shephard and Graves would've left us alone."

" I doubt that."

My eyes caught movement coming through the doors as Alejandro and Rudy entered the room. They were busy chatting away, but as soon as they saw me, their smiles dropped.

I stalked over to them, anger radiating off me. Rudy whispered something quickly to Alejandro, but he just waved him off. " Where did they go?" I asked, coming to a stop inches away from Alejandro.

" Will you stay calm if I tell you?" He asked, giving me a warning glare.

I crossed my arms over my chest. " That fucking depends. Did you know about them leaving today?"

Alejandro maintained eye contact with me, as he simple answered, " Yes."

My face grew hot as the anger threatened to take over, and I took a deep breath. " And you didn't tell me?"

" I only found out last night."

" You still could've told me."

My voice was beginning to raise, along with Alejandro's. " I was told not to."

" By who?"

" Ghost."

I pursed my lips, the name making my heart drop. Rudy awkwardly glanced between us, before scurrying off to a group of soldiers. Everyone's attention was on us, but I didn't care as I continued my interrogation. " Did they say when they'd be back?"

" Come on, Nova. Give you're fucking head a shake. They're job isn't here, you can't expect them to stay just because you're here."

As soon as those words came out of his mouth, in the tone they did, Alejandro froze. His brown eyes went wide as the realization of what he said hit, and his shoulders dropped as he let out a long sigh. His eyes softened slightly, and he went touch my shoulder, but I brushed him off. " I'm sorry, I've just been through so much stress between losing men to-"

" Don't," I snapped, cutting him off.

I turned around, and started walking back to my room. Alejandro tried to say something again, but he was cut off by Rudy. " No coronel. Déjala relajarse. (Don't Colonel. Let her chill out)."

I slammed my bedroom door shut, the walls reverberating with the sound. I then slunk onto the floor, pulling my knees to my chest, and begin thinking about my next course of action.

I had to get out of here. I felt trapped. Whether or not Alejandro actually meant what he had said, I made a complete fool of myself in front of the whole compound. Why did I expect them to stay just because of me? Was I that love sick to believe that? Ghost was right about one thing: those closest to you can easily turn on you.

~~~

The hours went by as I spent my day curled up in a ball on my bed. I either was sleeping, or excessively crying, my eyes and chest on fire.

I watched out the window as the sun begun it's descent, and my stomach rumbled in protest of the lack of food.

A knock sounded at the door, but I didn't make a noise. Seconds later the door opened and closed gently, but I kept my back to whoever came in.

" I'm sorry for what I said," Alejandro started softly, " I've been under a lot of stress, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I know you blame me for not telling you they were leaving, but Ghost didn't want me to. I assumed something happened between you two and it would've made it worst."

" I don't know what happened," I mumbled, " I didn't do anything."

I felt the bed dip beside me as Alejandro took a seat. " I know you didn't, and you probably didn't have to. My best advice is give it time. If it's meant to be it'll work out in the end. He might not have left because of you anyways."

I flipped over onto my back, and gave Alejandro a look. " What do you mean?"

" There was another missile. In Chicago. Before they left, we interrogated Valeria before she was taken into custody. She said how there was another missile, and Hassan would be there. Price didn't want to waste any time, so he made the call."

Alejandro turned around, and when he turned back to face me, he shoved a plate of food into my face. " Peace offering? Your favourite and I didn't make them too spicy this time."

I stared down at his famous homemade chicken enchiladas, and my mouth immediately started to water. Grabbing the plate from him, Alejandro gave me a little smile. I returned it, and started eating like it was my last meal. When in reality, it very well could be.

" I want to ask a favour," I started after a few moments of silence.

" That's never good," Alejandro responded, giving me a look.

" I need a vacation. Actually, we need a vacation."

Alejandro narrowed his eyes at me, and sighed. " I agree, but honestly I can't leave my men or base right now. There's too much work to be done. But... I do think you deserve one. And I have just the plan to make it happen."