Chapter 19: The Hangman's Secret Experiment

"Andrew! ANDREW!!!" A voice shouted as I bolted awake, my head swimming with pain. 

"D-did I pass out again?" I asked hoarsely as Matt helped me up, looking worried. 

"Yeah, you did, and you were mumbling in your sleep."  

"Mumbling? what did I mumble?" 

"I couldn't make it out, but it was strange because you were also blushing red."

I looked embarrassed. "I-i was?" I asked as Monty nodded with a chuckle. 

"You were, son." Monty chuckled 

Fredrick came in and said, "I've just found something interesting," He said, showing us copies of files and putting them on the desk. "These are blackmail files the mayor has on everyone in this town. It's really fucked up, but it's all part of his quest for fame and power." 

We stood there in silence, looking at the files. A tense feeling filling the air.

"Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with him" I muttered, reading a file

"This is unethical and wrong", Matt said 

"Don't worry, I will send these to the FBI, we're all working on this case, and I promised to send evidence to them since I'm keeping them in the loop", Fredrick said 

We hoped we would find the hangman, give the mayor a taste of his medicine, and find justice for the victims' families.

"I can't believe he's doing this," Matt said with disgust in his voice.

Monty asked about my vision, and I started to explain it. "The assistant John Goldsworth was there, he looked worried, and the mayor hated public appearances" I rubbed my eyes.

 "but he said he had 'ways of making people shut up' due to the blackmail he kept finding with help from private investigators, and the whole blushing moment was with John; it seemed he was in love with one of the prisoners, Wade Cooper which wasn't surprising since he kept thinking about him." 

"This confirms the whole thing; we'll need to speak with the assistant John Goldsworth; he might be able to help us, but he might not be able to say anything because of the mayor. He might plan something bad." Fredrick said, determined. 

We decided to look into everything, as Fredrick had taken the files back and had them under lock and key so no one could access them. 

"Oh, would you look at this; it seems the mayor was planning some fucked up experiments; must he know how he kept the town under his control," I said, looking into some files.

We just wanted justice for the families so no one would succumb to the hangman's wrath. It would be challenging, but we were brave enough to face whatever came our way, even if it meant dealing with a corrupt, power-hungry mayor and his fucked up experiments. 

This was going to be tough, but everyone was happy and chatting since they had seemingly put the tragic events behind them as they all tried to move on, but to me, it seemed forced, as if the mayor instigated it so his reputation wouldn't be ruined. 

'The words 'I'm sorry' will never come out, for they would be a lie. I am more than willing to give up my life for what I have done, to have God judge me and send me to hell for eternity - Joe Metheny.