Chapter 5

Scott stared at the mirror. It was unmistakably him but somehow nothing like him. The happy-go-lucky teenage boy was gone, replaced with a version of him more broken and worn down with time. And yet more regal. The taller, more handsome, more regal and wiser person wasn't him. How could it be? That pain in the emperor's eyes, the worry in his brows wasn't familiar.

Slowly, he put his hands up, seeing if he could feel the crown perched on his reflection's head. Nothing was there. In the reflection, however, his hands were touching the crown, adjusting it. Bringing them down, he studied the emperor closer. The crown on his head was a stunning golden, embedded with gems of all colors, somehow catching some nonexistent sunlight.

His hair was fluffier and icier. It was longer as well, as though he hadn't bothered to cut it and quite liked the look. A small braid was made in it. It was crude but worn with pride. Scott wondered who made it. A white robe laced with gold was draped on his shoulders, the button well done. A blue, white and gold ensemble lay underneath, complete with a brown belt and boots. The entire thing was accented with gold, showing how rich this emperor was.

"Who are you?" whispered Scott, his voice barely audible. So much so, it could have been the wind. The emperor smiled slightly as though the question was heard by his elf-like ears. He spread his owl wings and lowered his head slightly. Scott staggered back. "Who-who are you?!" The emperor continued to smile.

Allow me to show you.

Scott was sitting next to someone. He laughed as the person next to him said, "Imagine this. We leave this place, never once traumatized." Scott shook his head, unhappiness filling his once-cheerful voice, "No. That's not possible. I'm sorry, Sunflower." Sunflower sighed and rest his head on Scott's shoulder. Under his breath, he mumbled, "It doesn't hurt to imagine..."

Scott was in a desert, yelling something he couldn't hear. Pain filled his body and he woke up in a bed. No, no, no! Sunflower! He was still fighting. The explosion hadn't taken him out. Scott ran towards the desert, sword in hand. He watched in grief as Sunflower was shot down by an arrow. No! This couldn't be happening! No!

A gravestone. It was made in their little place they shared. "It never hurt to imagine. Maybe we hoped for too much," He slowly engraved the words in. It took all day but Scott didn't mind. Maybe the pain was deserved. He let Sunflower die. He couldn't see the name. It was as though it was on the border of darkness, he knew it but didn't.

J̶̰̖̠͆ḯ̶̛͙̦̲̅͘̚ḿ̷̛͖͝m̸̢͉̘̺̔̐ͅý̶͇͖̃
Beloved Husband
Ep 1-7

~~~~

Jimmy sat at the lunch table, his worry growing by the minute. Even Scott wouldn't take this long to do whatever he was doing in the bathroom. The lunch hour was ending fast. "I'll get Scott out of there before he coats his entire face in rainbow," joked Jimmy, sliding out of his seat. "Alright," mumbled Katherine before returning to her food.

Jimmy walked away from the group. He turned back to find them laughing and talking, unaware of any grief. How could none of them sense the dread he did? The feeling of a stone dropping into their stomachs as he did. He entered the bathroom, pushing the door open slightly. "Scott?" he called, opening it more. He studied the room. "Scott?!" Panic laced his voice as he saw his lo- friend on the floor.

"SCOTT?!"

He ran over and dropped to his knees. Jimmy glanced in the mirror, seeing nothing but himself and the bathroom behind him. Scott was breathing, his chest rising and falling with every intake of breath. Jimmy sighed in relief as he lifted the teen's head into his lap. "What happened?" he whispered. Jimmy brushed his blue locks away from his eyes and looked at Scott's face.

His eyebrows were wrinkled. In pain or grief or worry, Jimmy couldn't tell. His eyes were closed tight. Jimmy pulled his phone out of his pocket, calling the one person whose name popped into his head. He clicked on the name 'Xornoth' and hit 'call' as he anxiously put it up to his ear. "What happened," he repeated as the call started to connect, the sound telling him Xornoth hadn't picked up.

"How?" Jimmy's breathing was frantic. "How did this go so wrong?" In all the chaos in his head, Jimmy didn't realized Xornoth had answered. "What went wrong?" asked the voice on the other side of the call. Jimmy took a deep breath and said, "Scott - Scott's not okay. Something's happened. I don't know what. Xornoth help. Please help. I don-"

Xornoth cut him off. "Alright, calm. I'll be there. Do the teachers know?" Jimmy shook his head, "N-no they don't. I can't leave him like this!" A pause. "Like what?" Jimmy sighed, "I'll explain! Just get over here!" Xornoth let out a grunt of affirmation and ended the call, leaving Jimmy in the bathroom, supporting Scott's head on his lap.

He didn't know how much later but Xornoth - along with the school nurse - burst in. His eyes widened as he dove for his brother. "Thank you," he said breathlessly, taking Scott from Jimmy's hands. He was reluctant, not wanting to let go of the warmth of Scott but obliging nonetheless. Jimmy stepped aside as he let the two of them do their work.

After a minute of dread, Xornoth announced, "He's fine. Only a little hurt on his head but that's only from the hitting the ground." He lifted his brother bridal style and added, "It's most likely exhaustion. I'll take him home." Jimmy sagged in relief, hugging Xornoth, thinking about what a good older brother he'd be. Xornoth wasn't able to hug back but he resorted to saying, "Scott's lucky to have a friend like you,"

Jimmy answered his friends' questions about what had happened but refused when the question required diving deep into the topic. He didn't want to relive the dread he'd felt when he found Scott unconscious on the bathroom floor. The rest of the day, they all wanted to go back to joking but they couldn't. Not when they knew someone they cared for was lying unmoving in bed.

That night, Jimmy wasn't able to fall asleep. He listened to his adoptive parents bicker for a while before sighing. You have all this power and yet you can't fall asleep? He scolded himself like this a few more times and wondered what would have happened if he hadn't found Scott. He turned over Xornoth's words in his head. "Scott's lucky to have a friend like you,"

Friend.

•~•~•

Word count: 1111

What a wonderful word count! Also, I'm very, very happy writing this. Let the drama begin!

<RubyBlueWrites left the game>