Chapter 23

Jimmy entered the room, a confused look on his face. Scott glanced at him, Gem still in his arms. "Jimmy...? Why are you here?" Jimmy looked worriedly at Gem. He sighed. "Red Scott took control. It wasn't safe sending me home."

Scott let go of Gem and stood up. "He took control? What do you mean, he took control? He can just do that?" Jimmy nodded, biting his lip.

Fwhip entered the room. "What just happened?" Gem looked at her brother and whispered, "The crown." Fwhip stared at her before shaking his head.

"You told me the crown was not to be worried about!" A panicked look took over Fwhip's face.

"I know!" exclaimed Gem, "It wasn't supposed to... I don't know. I made a mistake but I will fix it!" Jimmy and Scott looked at each other, confused.

"I'm sorry if I'm ruining something here, but... what crown?" Scott felt the urgency creep into his voice but he couldn't help it. Gem's gaze drifted to her feet.

"I was warned of a crown that allows the wearer to command even the strongest like they were little children."

Scott blinked in confusion, "Okay... But what does that have to do with these crystals?" Gem sighed, unable to explain the situation.

"We're from another world. A whole other universe. In that universe, we're emperors. And I'm guessing these crystals are what forge the crown."

Scott nodded, "Yeah, I figured that out when I turned out to be an elf." He looked around. "Hey, where's Xornoth?"

"You weren't supposed to tell them, Wizard." The voice was Xornoth's, but it sounded nothing like them. It sent chills down Scott's spine as he saw the older elf step into the room.

"Xorny, what are you talking about?" Xornoth paid no attention. "They weren't supposed to know. Now they will take control. You don't want that, so you?"

Gem backed up against the wall. She found her staff and held it against Xornoth's chest, "Get out, Exor." Xornoth laughed. The horrible sound bounced against the walls and hung in the air.

"What, will you kill me? But you can't, can you? Not without killing my host. Even then, I won't be dead. You can't kill a god, Wizard."

Scott felt anxiety suffocate him as the thought of killing Xornoth entered his head. "Gem, please. Don't hurt them."

Xornoth turned sharply towards Scott. "And you. Champion of my brother. I should kill you first." With that, they lunged. Scott felt the air knocked out of him as he hit the wall.

Xornoth wasn't done. They grabbed his hair and hit his head against the wall again and again. "Xornoth, stop! Please!" Scott felt light-headed as pain flooded him. Tears welled up in his eyes.

A flash of recognition fluttered across Xornoth's face and they let Scott go. "Scott? What...?" Their eyes scanned the room and something seemed to click. "What did he make me do?"

Scott wanted to answer, but the world was spinning around him. He fell to his knees. "Scott!" Xornoth rushed to his side. "I did this." They slowly backed away, staying a good distance from everyone.

"I won't let him go again." Xornoth broke free. "I-I... I'll just hurt you. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

Xornoth ran. They left the house and kept running. Meanwhile, Gem was tending to Scott's injuries. "Let them run," hissed Jimmy. He held Scott's hand, a protective look on his face.

"I had no idea they could just... take control of us." Scott's voice wavered. It was not fun seeing his sibling like that. Xornoth was once the only person who cared for him, and now they were the one out for his blood.

No, not Xornoth. Exor. Exor was out for his blood.

Gem took the crystals from everyone. Everyone unanimously agreed that they'd be safest with her. A notification from Scott's phone alerted him to it.

[Joey] why is xornoth not picking up???
[Katherine] did anyone else feel that?????
[Shelby] yea it was weird
[Pearl] gem what happened?
[Gemini] i'll explain, meet at the library
[Lizzie] omw
[Pix] yeah ok, i want answers

Scott turned his phone off. Gem handed him a thick, sweet liquid. It was warm, and flooded his throat. The pain in his head was gone.

He knew what she fed him - a healing potion. He was fine with it. Gem switched her phone off after assuring a few of their other friends that everything would be alright.

Scott felt unsafe. Xornoth attacked him. Xornoth. The same person who took care of him. If he couldn't trust them, he could trust no one.

"I need some time to think," said Scott, getting up. He grabbed his bag, slung it over his shoulder and made his way to the bathroom. He locked the door with a click and sighed.

Scott slid to the floor, his head in his hands. He gripped his hair, trying to get his thoughts straight. Protection. He needed protection. What if he was attacked again?

Scott reached into his bag. If he remembered correctly, he'd put a knife in there, back when this madness began. He was right. The knife was sheathed. Scott buckled the sheath to his belt and hid it with his coat.

He left the bathroom. Jimmy took his hand and squeezed it tight in reassurance. Scott squeezed back, a rush of protectiveness going through him.

If anything happened to Jimmy, the world would burn.

Scott sighed softly. Gem led them to the library. Once they stepped in, the usual grandeur swept over them. That feeling, no matter how many times Scott entered the place, would never leave.

They met their other friends, and despite the circumstances, Scott felt the familiar happiness that he got when they would meet up. He watched as Gem explained what he already knew.

The knife under his coat seemed heavy. Something told him it shouldn't be here, even if it's in self-defense. Scott's gaze drifted towards where it was kept.

He had the urge to take it, and hold it at Gem's throat. No, why was he feeling this?

Scott watched Gem explain the situation, and rage bubbled up in him, even though he couldn't tell where it was coming from. He loved Gem, why on earth did he want to kill her?

Maybe it wasn't him.

Scott didn't want Gem dead, far from it, but Aeor probably did. The rage wasn't Scott. It was the god he was forced to be the champion of.

Scott's body wasn't his anymore. He stood up abruptly, and his hand hovered around the knife. He was bigger than her. It would be so easy.

No, Gem is stronger than me. She shouldn't be underestimated.

But Gem is no stronger than me.

Scott felt all eyes on him, but he was no longer in control. His pace was slow as he made his way over to Gem. "Scott wh-" She then let out a squeak of surprise as Scott grabbed her and held the knife to her throat.

Her face looked up at him, fear the only emotion in her features. Scott didn't want to do this. Why was he doing this? He felt himself speak, but that wasn't him. It was his voice, but who spoke wasn't Scott.

"You shouldn't have opened your mouth, wizard."

~•~•~•

Word count: 1226

I'm sorry this took forever 😔

<RubyBlueWrites left the game>