The Missing Cabbages

This morning was absoIutely horrid. I woke up late, my hair is a mess, and I fell into a puddle. However, I somehow made it to the office on time.

"Good morning, (Y/n)," says Edith.

"Good morning," I reply.

I walk to the office and immediately start talking to Enola, "Why are you the only nice one in your family? I mean, I've never met your mother, but I've unfortunately met your brother, Mycroft. Who is an absolute asshole!"

I turn around and notice that Enola and I aren't the only ones in the room.

"This is exactly why Enola should be in a boarding school, Sherlock. This woman is crazy!"

I scoff, "Crazy?! You haven't seen crazy yet."

"I think it'd be best for us to go, Mycroft-"

Mycroft cuts Sherlock off and steps closer to me, "You are the most outrageous woman I've ever met!"

"I don't care. Cry about it," I respond, rolling my eyes.

I can see Enola trying to hide her smile, while Mycroft looks like his head is about to explode.

"Unbelievable!" Mycroft cries out.

He looks completely bewildered, his eyes are widened, and his mouth is opening and closing like a gaping fish. I can't help but to laugh, and Enola does as well.

"What are you two laughing at?!" the distressed man yells.

Sherlock steps up beside Mycroft, "I'm afraid you're going to have to get used to the ridiculousness if you wish to visit us."

I roll my eyes at Sherlock. He's the ridiculous one.

"Now if you two will please excuse us, we have very important work to do," Enola says, while linking arms with me.

"But I was just starting to have fun," I say.

"I think you've done enough damage," says Sherlock.

I finally make eye contact with him, but the memory of last night makes me look away.

"Let's go," I tell Enola.

~~°°••°°~~

Today's case is simple. Find the missing cabbage cart.

"How the hell does someone lose a cart full of cabbages?" I ask.

Enola sighs, "Maybe someone stole it?"

The two of us stop to ask a group of teens if they've seen it, but the group takes off running.

"Interesting. Perhaps, we should follow them?" Enola asks.

I nod and the two of us chase after them.

"This alley is a dead-end!" I yell.

The teens skid to a stop and turn towards us. The shortest one speaks, "We didn't mean to crash into the cabbage cart! It just happened!"

"Okay, but where are the cabbages?" I ask.

"Well, once the cabbages started rolling, people started grabbing them."

Enola and I share an annoyed look and turn back to the teens.

"Whatever, just go tell the merchant what happened, and see what can be done," Enola says.

The teens nod and walk off together.

"God, I hope our cases start getting better. I'm tired of finding missing cats and veggies."

"I'm afraid this will probably be all we get. All the good cases go to Sherlock."

"This is unfair."

I push my way through the crowded street and Enola jogs to catch up to me.

"Speaking of Sherlock...."

I raise my eyebrow and she continues. "How was last night?"

"It was fine."

She nods, "Good, so do you think you two will go out again?"

"Probably not, I don't think he likes me very much."

Enola rolls her eyes, "I think he does, but Sherlock's a hard book to read."

We go straight to our office and immediately sit at our desks.

Enola starts humming to herself while shuffling through her stack of papers. I pull my papers out and start reading the poems I had written, when I notice a folded paper at the bottom of my drawer.

I look at Enola curiously, but she's too busy reading her papers to notice me. Slowly picking up the paper, I notice that it's a slightly different color than mine. I open the paper and realize that there's words written on it.

I enjoyed last night, we should go out again sometime.
-Sherlock

I fold the paper and put it back in the drawer, but I can't help but smile to myself. Perhaps, Sherlock Holmes does like me. That alone makes my heart flutter.

"What is this?" Enola asks, grabbing the note.

She opens it and reads it with a smile, "This is so interesting. I've never known Sherlock to do anything as sweet as this."

"Well, to be fair you've only known him for two years."

She rolls her eyes at me and puts the note back in the drawer. "Yes, but we've gotten rather close in those two years."

"Probably because your other sibling is a jerk," I reply.

She sits at her desk and nods, "He's a bloody fool! He put me in an all girl's school once. Tewkesbury had to break me out!"

"How romantic," I say, batting my eyes.

She throws a ball of paper at me and laughs. "I still can't believe I agreed to help him when we met."

"Imagine how different your life would be if you hadn't. You probably wouldn't have met me, and I'm the greatest person ever!"

She rolls her eyes, "My life would be incomplete without you."

"I know."