Diamonds and Pearls

"Do I have to go?"

Sherlock sets his suitcase down, an exasperated look on his face. "Yes. You are my woman-"

"Excuse me?"

He lets out a sigh, "Forgive me, love. Calling you my girlfriend sounds juvenile."

"Yes, but calling me your woman sounds sexist."

"Fine. You are my girlfriend, so therefore you must attend with me."

"I can't believe you got invited to a detective meeting, but Enola and I didn't," I say bluntly.

He sighs, "This organization doesn't recognize female detectives."

"They're probably just a bunch of old men that smell like cigars and desperation."

He laughs, "I'm sure they are."

I finish packing my suitcase and turn to John. "Are you not going with us?"

"No, I have stuff here I need to work on."

Sherlock takes my suitcase, much to my dismay. We say goodbye to John and walk outside. Sherlock waves a carriage over, and the two of us quickly climb inside. I watch as he fiddles with his pocket watch, his eyebrows pulled together in concentration. He gives the watch's knob one last twist before looking up at me.

"Why are you sitting across from me?"

"The carriage ride will be long. I thought I should give you space," I answer.

He slides his watch back into his pocket and moves to the seat next to me. "I'd prefer to sit next to you."

I lean my head on his shoulder, "You act like you're obsessed with me."

"Maybe I am," he says.

His arm wraps around me, pulling me even closer to him. Everyone knows him as a cold-hearted man who doesn't like physical touch, but when the two of us are together, he can't go more than five minutes without touching me.

"What are you thinking about?"

His fingers run through my hair, putting my mind and nerves at ease. "How many people are going to be at this meeting?"

"A lot."

"I don't like big crowds."

He presses a kiss to the top of my head, "I'll be right there with you. You have nothing to worry about."

"What if I trip?"

"I'll catch you."

I sit up to look at him, "But what if I embarrass you?"

"You could never embarrass me."

I frown, still thinking about every possible thing that could go wrong. Bad luck tends to follow me, and I'd hate to screw something up for Sherlock. Everyone there is going to be professional and important. All eyes will be on Sherlock, as he's the greatest of them all. Which means their eyes will also be on me, and I already know they'll judge me.

"Everything will be fine, (Y/n)."

I sigh deeply, "I hope you're right."

"I'm always right," he says.

I roll my eyes and push him lightly. He laughs, causing me to smile.

"It's weird seeing you in a dress."

I look down at myself in doubt. "Do I look bad?"

"No, you look beautiful."

He rests his head on my shoulder. I smile to myself and play with his hair.