The Theater & the Rude Brother

"Shouldn't you go home to start getting ready?"

I sit at my desk, reading through a stack of papers.

"Yeah, yeah, I will later. I just gotta look through these poems. My publisher expects a rough draft of my new book soon."

Edith grabs the papers from my hands and sets them down on the desk. "You have three months to do that. Go. Home."

She walks around my desk and grabs my hands, pulling me to my feet.

"It's already six, that only gives you an hour to get ready."

She leads me through the building and opens the front door.

"I got plenty of time to get ready, I just needed to finish one more-"

She slams the door behind me, and I turn around to see her locking it.

"Hey! You can't kick me out!"

"Good night, (Y/n)."

She pulls the curtains over the door and I stand there in shock.

She kicked me out. Unbelievable.

~~°°••°°~~

I make my way home and immediately begin pulling dresses out of my closet. My mother walks in with raised eyebrows.

"What on Earth are you doing?"

I frantically push my messy hair out of my face, "Looking for a dress."

"Why?"

"Because apparently I have a date tonight."

"With who?"

"Sherlock."

She looks at me in surprise, "Well let's get this corset tied then!"

She ties the corset. Extra tight.

"You haven't even done your hair or makeup?!"

I slip my dress on and sit at my vanity, "I lost track of time."

She stands behind me and begins to braid my hair while I anxiously do my makeup.

"You're shaking like a leaf," she says.

I set my lipstick down and take a deep breath. "You know I get shaky over everything."

She gives me a sad smile, "You'll be fine, and you look amazing."

I stand up, looking at myself in the mirror. She's right, I do look amazing.

A knock at the door pulls me out of my thoughts, the two of us look at each other, and she smiles.

"I'll distract him while you put your shoes on."

She heads downstairs and I quickly throw a pair of shoes on, and give myself one last look in the mirror.

I hope I don't screw this up.

My mom calls for me and I frantically make my way downstairs, tripping a couple times along the way. When I make it to the door I straighten my back and smooth my dress down.

Sherlock looks me up and down, a surprised look on his face. "You look different."

I frown, "Sorry?"

"It's a good different," he says with a nod.

My mom gives me a smile and pushes me towards him, shutting the door behind me.

"This is the second time I've been kicked out today," I say in disbelief.