Chapter 16 - Backup Plans

Emily sat on the edge of the couch. Her blonde hair curled and tucked behind her ears. She would peep out the window ever so often, hoping to catch even a glimpse of Annabelle. The dress Emily wore was floral, white with pink flowers that fit loosely around the baby bump that at this rate needed to pop.

The older woman had been gone for a few hours now. Emily wanted to see her, longed to see her even. In the last four days, the blonde managed to move her entire body again. It was frustrating, there were so many tears—and then the third day, she walked again, took actual steps. She almost felt back to normal...almost. Emily sat curling the soft fabric of the curtain between her palm, remembering the elated look on the Queen's face as she took her first steps, almost like she was a toddler again.

Annabelle was so overjoyed with their progress that she grabbed the blonde's face between her palms and kissed her.

The kiss was soft, and Anna's wide eyes told Emily that she hadn't meant to react in that way. Despite that, it deepened, sending shivers down the young blonde's spine. It became hot, forceful, almost raw. The Queen stood at least five inches taller than Emily. The older woman leaned into the kiss, pulling Emily impossibly closer. It was as though she wanted their bodies to merge, as though she tried to make the younger woman a part of her.

Annabelle swept the blonde off her feet, literally. Almost a full nine months pregnant, and the Queen lifted her with ease onto the king-sized bed. Their lips collided again, and butterflies returned in the pit of Emily's stomach. Why was she feeling this way? There was almost an electricity bouncing back and forth between them. It felt strange, it felt...different.

The older woman's hands swept below Emily's satin nightgown, caressing the exposed flesh of her thighs. Burning, that's what she felt. The woman's hand left a trail of heat in its wake, up and down her thigh, and God, it felt good. Emily wanted her to go further. She wanted her to touch her core, simmer the heat growing between her thighs. Emily's mind buzzed with all the things she wanted Annabelle to do in that moment.

Until, there was an aggressive movement in her belly. The baby was moving—a lot. It was so much movement, that it put their activities to a complete halt. Emily was panting, with swollen lips, rubbing her belly as the baby continued to kick around.

Annabelle chuckled, moving her hands to the bump. "I guess someone's grumpy."

Emily giggled at the idea of the big bad Queen talking to her belly. "Running out of space huh little guy?" Anna whispered, leaning to place her lips against the bump.

Emily blushed. This was...different. A different side of Annabelle.

The blonde's cheeks were red at the memories that unfolded. It felt like they were much closer than before, like there was now an unspoken bond between the two. She sat and wondered if whatever little time she'd spent with Victoria felt the same. And, it didn't. Annabelle lit something in her, made her the angriest, her words cut deeper, her affection meant more. She meant more to Emily.

The two decided that they would keep Emily's ability to walk and speak again a secret. Something the older woman said about it coming in handy. So, no one knew the status of Emily's health, nor of the new abilities she'd discovered and have been honing the past few days.

Emily was dragged from her thoughts by the sound of voices coming down the hallway. She quickly shuffled across the room into bed. She tossed the heavy duvet over herself, laying her arms at her side. The blonde had no idea how hard it would be to lay perfectly still, until she found herself having to do it every time someone other than Annabelle entered their room.