Chapter 1- The Queen.

Before you start reading, please note that this book may not end the way you the reader think it should, and that it's MY work and it takes the end I found suitable.
Happy reading.
-R

——

The day started almost the same as every other day for Emily. She dragged the body of another sheep to the burn hole for the third time that week. The time she lived in was unimaginable. Vampires, werewolves and supernatural beings no longer hid, they all lived among the humans in a mask of harmony.

She recalled the stories her parents told her of the vampires taking over hundreds of years before their time, overthrowing weakly structured human governments and creating one, all powerful royal family in its stead. For some time, their counterparts remained hidden, the world unsure of just how many of those creatures existed.

As time progressed, so did the royal family. Putting their own kin and stock in high positions, naming them leaders of various towns and cities. There was very little humans had a say in when it came to the world now. Although, a select few of mankind were lucky enough to be politically placed to 'keep the peace'.

Werewolves and vampires worked in harmony, something that had come to past when King Geoffrey III himself married a she-wolf. According to the history books Emily read, their reign was a memorable one, though there was very little information as to how it had ended.

Emily sighed, dumping lighter fluid into the burn hole. She fiddled with the matchbox seemingly lost in thought for some time. Recently a plague had been killing most of the animals. They'd tried their best on the farm to nurse them back to health, but there was only so much they could do with the limited resources her family had.

The livestock had been their main source of funds, most of which went into her mother's healthcare in the last few months of the woman's life. Emily finally flicked a lit match into the hole, setting it ablaze. Her blue eyes reflected the flicker of the flame. Another one gone.

The sound of a vehicle pulling up dragged her away from her thoughts. She faced the darkly tinted sedan, slowly walking towards it. The driver side door opened before she could reach it and a young man stood dressed in neatly tailored suit.

"Ivanov Family," he adjusted his sunglasses. "It has been brought to our attention that you've been failing to repay your loan."

Confusion was clear on the young woman's face. She could tell from the pallor of the man's skin that he was...unnatural. A vampire.

"What are you talking about?" she asked him.

The sound of someone shuffling behind her threatened to distract from the vampire that stood dangerously close to her.
"Go wait inside Emily." Her father whispered. "Good day sir." He toyed with the hem of his shirt anxiously.

"Dad, what have you gotten yourself into?"

"It's nothing to worry about, just go on. Manny is on his own in there doing God knows what." The older man played it off.

The young blonde nodded; suspicion still heightened as she trod into the house. She was met with the sound of her younger brother talking to his toys on the floor of the living room.
"Hey kiddo," she greeted him, while leaning against the wall. Emily peered through the space between the curtain, trying to catch a glimpse of the scene that unfolded outside her home.

"Harold Ivanov," the man read from a small notebook. "You've missed six consecutive payments on the loan you've borrowed." The vampire took a step closer to Harold. "There have been a few reports of you humans taking advantage of the Queen's kindness, running off without repaying and she's taken a personal interest in these cases."