Chapter 3 - Run.

Trigger warning: Shit happens.

-

Emily glanced around the room, releasing a deep sigh. It had been two days since she had been confined to a new room. Upon their return, Patricia drew Emily a bath and had her fed just as before. Although quieter than her usual upbeat self, the maid made small talk through it all, before sending Emily up to the large quarters.

Since then, she hadn't seen the woman. An unfamiliar servant—Margret— moved Emily another room later that night and since then brought her meals, and readied her baths. The woman who was a lot less friendly than the previous maid, instructed her not to leave the room until Annabelle said otherwise.

A small thump against the door caused Emily's heart to quicken. Would it be the Queen finally releasing her from the prison she was in? It then dawned on her that Annabelle wouldn't knock, she'd waltz right in.

"Come in." her small voice echoed in the half empty room.

A young man entered, appearing only a few years older than herself. His eyes were sea blue, and she shaggy, sandy hair he had was unkempt.

"I've brought you some fresh clothing and towels."

The man stood awkwardly to the side, folded laundry between his hands. He waited for Emily to respond.

"Oh!" she smiled shyly. "You can put them on the bed. Thank you."

"I'll remove the soiled towels and hang these in the bath." He held up two clean towels.

Emily nodded, her eyes never leaving the man's figure as he strolled into the en-suite. Her eyes shifted to the clothes on the bed, curiosity getting the better of her. She walked over, fingers unraveling the neatly folded clothing. Dresses, more dresses. It shouldn't have made her as upset as it did, but she was tired of sundresses. She was tired of being locked in a room that seemed to separate her from the rest of civilisation.

"Who are you?" she asked as the servant reappeared. "And do you have any idea where Annabelle is?"

"The Queen has been occupied. She sent orders to have you dressed by lunchtime." His answer was stoic.

"Are you a fucking robot? Is everyone in this castle just a chess piece that she toys with?"

The shaggy haired man chuckled, showing off his near perfect teeth. "You are definitely a lot more work than they said you'd be."

Emily entertained the idea of a conversation. It's the most anyone has said to her in over forty-eight hours.

"What about Patricia? Have you seen her?"

He shrugged. "Today is only my first day here, and I'm already overwhelmed."

His first day? "How exactly does one get a job here anyway, and why would you? It's the equivalent to selling your soul to the devil." The words flew out of her mouth.

He laughed harder this time, his eyes creased and hand clutching his stomach.

"You think I applied? I didn't have a choice. My family was in debt. It was either me or my younger brother."

It shouldn't have comforted Emily to know that she wasn't the only one who'd been taken from her home. It appeared to be a completely normal occurrence in those parts.

"Well... I guess we're in the same boat."

It was his turn to raise a brow, "Well, I've seen the servant's quarters... and you're here... In your own room. So you're either very lucky or very unlucky."