Chapter 25 -Smooth Sailing

"You're pregnant?!" Emily gasped.
"She's pregnant?" Annabelle frowned
"P-pregnant?" Tristan stuttered.

They were all in Victoria's suite, standing at her bedside as Baptiste sopped her forehead with a warm rag. Annabelle's expression was unreadable, and Emily didn't know what to think. After all, the women had been trying for a child for years to no avail.

Victoria had been missing in action for a few days, barely showing her face outside of the room. She'd told Emily she just needed some rest and not to mention it to her ex-wife, but Annabelle caught on all on her own. Once she'd grilled Victoria about why she'd locked herself away and realized the woman was indeed in poor health, she called for Baptiste right away.

The Maester showed up a few hours later asking for privacy so he could examine the patient. Twenty minutes later, everyone rejoined them in Victoria's room for the surprise announcement.

"She's with child." Baptiste spoke. "She's going to need special vitamins. There hasn't been any morning sickness—according to what I was told," He gave Victoria a look. "But I recommend bed rest for the next few weeks, balanced diet. There's also an herbal tea that fares well for pregnancy."

Emily's brows shot up at the mention of herbal tea. Could that be the same tea Margret fed her almost daily before she even knew she was pregnant?

Baptiste excused himself, saying he would leave instructions in Annabelle's study for the wolf's care. They all stood at the bedside, the silence almost deafening. Victoria looked at any and everything except any of the faces in the room.

The queen didn't realize her hands were in fists at her side until she'd noticed the blonde glancing down at them. She opened her palms, allowing the blood to flow freely after they were clenched so tightly for God knows how long. Annabelle had more questions at that point than anything else in her mind. She didn't want to bombard her ex—but she almost needed to know the answer to at least one.

"Who's the father?" she finally spoke.
Victoria's eyes landed on Tristan before quickly looking off again.
"Well...I'm gonna check on Gideon." Emily excused herself once realization hit.
"I—also have stuff..." Tristan scurried behind her.

Annabelle was shocked to say the very least. If what she'd assumed was correct, it wasn't something she saw coming at all. "Him?"
"Annabelle—"
"Tristan's the father?" she repeated.
"Fuck, it was just a drunken night that shouldn't have happened. In fact, it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't a raging alcoholic for the last four months."

The taller woman had confusion written all over her face.

"I haven't been okay, Annabelle." She continued. "I just haven't been okay. I haven't been able to come to terms with everything that happened. Being dead... I don't know for how long. Gaps in my memory, nightmares about being eaten alive. Drinking...It was the only thing that helped. It was the only thing that kept me from completely losing my mind."

"Why haven't you said anything before now?" Annabelle sat at the edge of the bed. "I would have gotten you help; I could have done something."
"Listen to yourself," Tears broke free from the barrier of Victoria's eyelids. "You would have done anything and everything and I know that. But I'm not your responsibility anymore Annabelle. You have a family now."

"Maybe you missed my big speech, but everyone under the crown is my responsibility. And even if—you aren't just anyone. We were married Victoria. People don't just stop loving each other because the relationship ended. I have so much love for you still—it's insane. You are my family. You make up a huge part of my home, my life. Thinking you were dead, imagining immortality without my best friend was excruciating."