Chapter 9 - The East Wing

Annabelle paced the cellar, remnants of throw up still stuck to her shoe. She was anxious, she couldn't tell the last time that she'd had that feeling.

"This changes...a lot." Tristan pointed out.

She winced as the headache that creeped up was worsening at full pace. How could she have missed something so big happening right in front of her? Her eyes glanced over at Emily, quickly looking away to avoid the blonde's own gaze.

Footsteps descended the stairs. Annabelle refused to leave the cellar until she knew for sure.

"Well? What is it?" Eustace's voice was heard. The older man removed his coat, throwing it over a nearby wooden stool.
"I need to know—" she paused. "No, I have to know if there's even the slightest chance that she might be with child."

Eustace's eyes were wide, but the man nodded in response. He was one of the oldest wolves still around; his senses were precise, more than even Annabelle's were. Emily fidgeted with the hem of her shirt as the older man made his way towards her.

She felt ill and terrified all at once. Eustace stretched his hands towards her, resting them on her tummy. He closed his eyes, brows furrowing. Emily's breath stopped in the back of her throat. The mans palms felt hot against her skin.

Victoria stood at the base of t he stairs, her eyes never leaving Emily's. The blonde wondered what went through the wolf's mind.

"She's definitely with child." He spoke after some time. "Approximately seven weeks along."

Emily thought the confirmation would take a weight off her shoulders, but she felt like it added another thousand pounds on her.

"Is it mine?" Annabelle wasted no time with asking.

The older man gave a solemn look. "I don't feel it. I fear it may not be one of us."

Annabelle had never known it to be possible to hold her breath for such an extended period without keeling over and dying. The cellar was so quiet, a pin drop could be heard. Emily's face was pale with fear as her eyes met with blazing red ones belonging to the queen.

"What does that mean Eustace?" her voice sent chills down the blonde's spine. It was menacing, scarier than she'd ever heard.

"The child is fully human Annabelle."

Annabelle looked like she'd gotten the wind knocked out of her. Emily sat, trying to make herself disappear into the stone wall of the cellar.

"Leave me." She said after some time.

Victoria gave her a look, "I think we should give it some more time before coming to any conclusions."

"Get the fuck out, everyone."

The she-wolf took Emily's hand, tugging the younger woman behind her. "She'll be in her room."

In a minute the cellar was completely empty. Annabelle's back pressed against the wall, and she skid down to the floor. She didn't want to react in anger—it would most certainly result in death. For the first time in a long time, she felt something strange in the base of her chest, a pain unlike anything she'd felt in a while. Was it disappointment? That sliver of hope that she would have a child was abruptly snatched.

Annabelle wanted someone to blame. She could blame Victoria for even putting such thoughts in her mind—thoughts that someone else would be able to carry her child, her heir. She was born a hybrid, there were no others then, and there surely aren't any now. If there were, she'd know.

Gone were the days where she'd thought she was invincible. There was a constant, nagging fear that maybe she'd go out like her mother did—that someone would figure out another way to make an immortal...mortal.