Epilogue.

Five-ish years later

Castle Salvatore was noisier than it had been in quite some time as they prepared to celebrate the prince's sixth birthday. Gideon's birthdays were always celebrated, but this year it was different. This year, the boy actually had friends. Being royal meant Gideon couldn't attend a normal school, couldn't play with the neighbours—considering there were none for miles.

Annabelle knew she needed to find a way to socialize him, and so she began hosting play dates for kids his age—offspring of other vampires or pack members who were closely associated with the crown. Today, the boy's two mothers went all out for his special day.

The queen hired a team of builders who constructed rails around the castle for a mini-train ride. Two massive bouncey houses were expertly placed on the lawn, as well as food stalls with various sweets and food vendors. The prince's birthday was so extravagant and well thought out, it rivalled county fairs.

Annabelle stood in navy slacks and a plain white t-shirt. Her arms on her hips as she watched two helpers struggle to take all of Gideon's gifts outdoors. The woman hadn't aged a day in the last five years, immortality suited her well.

"You're really not going to help?" Emily appeared around the corner, a frown on her face.
"It's their job Em, what am I paying them for if I have to help?" the woman groaned. Her dimpled cheek flush in annoyance.
"Annabelle, its damn near fifty boxes. This wouldn't be an issue if you stopped spoiling him like we discussed. He doesn't need fifty new toys. Your son forgets about those gifts as quickly as he gets them."

"Now he's, my son?"

Before their childish bickering could continue, Gideon appeared at the end of the long hallway. The boy stood with their great Dane Pablo draped over his small shoulders. The dog was at least four times Gideon's size—despite the boy being tall for his age.

"Emily..." Annabelle tried to stifle her laughter, but it slipped.
"Get your fucking son Anna, get him before I do."

The taller woman scrambled down the hallway, snatching the massive dog away from her child. The animal had to have been at least a hundred and twenty pounds. "Why do you insist on pushing your mother's buttons like this?" she asked her mini-me. "You're trying to get us both killed."

"She's gonna get you first. You run slow Momma." Gideon's dimpled cheeks puffed up as he pointed at her.

"Like hell I do." She muttered, releasing Pablo in the opposite direction. The dog scampered off, most likely running in the direction furthest away from the little demon. "C'mon, it's bath time. Your guests should be arriving soon."

The boy nodded, skipping in the direction of his bedroom with her following closely behind. Annabelle ran a bath, testing the water before allowing him to climb into the tub.

"Remember what we talked about?"
Gideon nodded his head of auburn curls, grabbing his loofah and bath soap. The queen sat on the boy's step stool, back leaning against the wall as she watched to make sure he didn't drown himself in the tub. Gideon was extremely independent—he only had to be taught something once before proving capable of doing it himself.

--

The last few years were a great adjustment. After Victoria's departure, Annabelle had to fill the position as the intermediary leader of the Royal pack. It was a responsibility she never wanted; she could never fill the space her mother left with her untimely death. She never wanted to lead the pack; the thought alone gave her hives and that's why Victoria took the role—that and the fact that the woman was a natural born leader.