Chapter 14 - Bad to Worse

The queen sobbed for what seemed like eternity before leaving her wife's body in the woods. She left the woman in a shallow grave below one of her favorite type of fruit trees. Annabelle collected the car from the bed and breakfast, driving slowly out of the parking lot that had completely emptied after all the commotion. She knew she would never forget the old building and everything that happened in it.

She stood outside the barn later that day contemplating how she'd tell the younger woman what happened. Annabelle thought about lying, about withholding the truth until a later date, perhaps until the blonde was in a better physical state—but she wouldn't be able to look Emily in the eye and not tell her about Victoria's untimely death.

Annabelle didn't fear many things, not even death. Now, she was genuinely terrified to face the eighteen—almost nineteen-year-old woman who waited anxiously in the barn for her return. She released the breath she'd been holding and pushed the door of the barn open.

Emily was fast asleep in the corner of the barn, legs folded at her knees, pulling her into a tiny ball. The temperature had dropped quite a bit and Annabelle could feel the difference. She removed her jacket, placing it over the young woman's body before lying beside her on the bale of hay.

Annabelle was drained, mentally exhausted. The day had taken a toll on her; flashes of the fight, her argument with Victoria, everything that happened in the last few months at the forefront of her mind. The fights she'd had with Victoria over the past decades of their marriage now felt so miniscule compared to the love they shared.

Another tear fell from corner of her eye and she wiped it away harshly. Witches have now taken everything from her. Everything that ever mattered, everything she'd ever truly loved. The woman shut her eyes tightly, begging for sleep to take away the ache that now rest uncomfortably on her chest.

Emily's eyes fluttered open two hours later. She stirred in the queen's arms, finding the woman sleeping beside her.

"Annabelle," she whispered.

The hybrid's eyes shot open. They were red, and bloodshot, staring back at Emily with a look the blonde had never seen before.

"What happened?"

"I-I was too late." Annabelle winced at her own words.

"What does that mean?" Emily's body lurched forward into a sitting position.

"When I got there...She was already fading away Emily."

Tears sprung from the blonde's eyes. She hadn't known Victoria very long but the woman's loyalty proved to be something she'd never experienced before. Emily had no idea why Victoria helped her, but the woman put her life on the line to get her to safety. Her heart felt as though it had been shattered in her chest.

Yet another life she'd be responsible for.

"Please, don't overthink it." Annabelle reached out to hold her hand but the woman pulled away.

"We should have never left her." She cried out.

Hearing the pain in the younger woman's voice was enough for the stinging in Annabelle's eyes to return. She couldn't cry anymore, there was just no time left to mourn. There was a witch after her, a witch that was somehow connected to Emily. Despite that fact, Annabelle had no doubt the witch would stop at nothing to kill her, even if it meant sacrificing the blonde to do it.

"I'm so sorry." she finally spoke again, shaking the thoughts from her mind. Annabelle managed to wrap her arms around the blonde, this time successfully enveloping her into a warm embrace. "I never meant for any of this to happen Emily. I know you think I'm a terrible person but I would have preferred if they'd taken my life instead."