Chapter 20: Done nicely

"He's so pleased, he's chatting up a storm. But can he open the crate?" Ryan said looking at Ricky who has reached his master.

"What does it matter? It's adorable." Dorothy said as they watch Ricky trying to pull the top side of the crate open.

"He has noticed something." Sophie said as Ricky pulls apart a triangular metal part on the left side off to reveal a hole in it.

"The various confines Edward designed all have soot as their key." Sophie said as Aileen holds a tray with a piece of paper on it. Sophie takes the paper and look at it whilst speaking.

"Ricky has found a mold for making a key from hardened soot." Sophie said.

"John was also in a crate, but he used his power to destroy it." Joseph said.

"It seems Ricky has learned by seeing Louise's rescue and John's wondrous power." Sophie said then Dorothy comments.

"Truly magnificent." Praised by Dorothy as they watch Ricky solve the puzzle.

"Well, he's soundly cleared that hurdle." Ryan said as they watch Ricky open the top of the crate revealing Patrick sitting there with one flower in his hand and the other one is on the wooden crate platform near him.

"The shadows gain trust towards their faces and praise them for their efforts. Thus their bond deepens." Joseph said as they all watch the reunion of the two, Shadow master and a Living doll.

They then move to look at the other contestant who is also trying to save their master.

"Shirley has yet to emit any soot. This may prove to be difficult." Joseph said.

Rum looks at her Mistress Shirley worryingly. Then she changes her face to a face full of determination.

Rum then starts cutting her bag.

Making it into a mask and wraps some on both of her hands as she starts cutting the plant individually.

"What's this? Is she channeling Sunshine?" Dorothy said in a curious voice.

"She better be careful. The sap will splatter all over." Ryan said.

"This is too scary to watch. Doesn't she know it causes a burning rash?" Dorothy said this time.

"Like Kate's cage, the upper area comes loose if exposed to soot. The rash causing flowers were meant to fall on her. She found a work around." Joseph said, explaining the situation of the cage.

"Rum seemed quite wishy washy, but she is unexpectedly resolute." Dorothy said as Sophie continues.

"It's an act of loyalty towards Shirley." They watch as Rum cuts the plant carefully.

Rum finally makes an opening so she can reach Mistress Shirley. Rum takes off her mask and smiles softly as she approaches her mistress. She kneels down in front of Shirley as she begins cutting the strings that was attached to her while talking to her Mistress.

"What's this? Is Shirley speaking?" Dorothy asks curiously.

"An emotional reunion. How unfortunate we cannot hear them." Sophie said while one of her hands holds her binoculars.

"The worst candidates staged a comeback." Ryan said.

"Patrick and Ricky took a detour," Joseph said announcing the two of them in the process of taking the other's attention to Patrick and Ricky.

"But at this rate, they'll likely make it in time."

"The grand finale to a most beauteous debut." Ryan said.