Chapter 22: Always forever

"Edward, let us test your knowledge."

Dorothy said as she lets go a cloaked soot thing as it runs to Edward.

Edward and two other people kneel looking straight forward as the third floor masters sit on the chairs or sofa.

"What is a shadow, and what is its purpose?" Dorothy asked.

"A shadow is a form of morph, a parasitic fairy skilled in mimicry and imitation. We all once took this form." Edward answered.

"Lord Grandfather devised the process by which morphs acquire personality and become shadows." Edward continues as the shadow parasitic fairy runs away.

"In stage one, morphs are shown living dolls so they may recognize and mimic the human form."

The bodies of humans lay on a white cloth or on a bed with white sheets as several of the shadows parasitic fairy stand there. Some of them look at the human form while the others wander.

"In stage two, a personality is acquired by interacting with a living doll."

A shadow master with her living doll holds hand as the living doll displays a smile.

"And in stage three, soot powers awaken and unification takes place. In short, a face is acquired by taking over the doll's body, creating a perfect being possessing soot powers transcending humankind."

Edward explains as we see half of the shadows master face and the living doll face.

"But if the shadow fails to acquire a personality in stage two, we may infer that its morph's force was too weak."

"Shirley certainly fits that pattern. No wonder she withered on the vine. But to perish like soot in the wind was a first." Ryan speaks up after Edward answered the question.

"It was hilarious, but one can't help but wonder. Edward! Did you foresee that happening?" Ryan said before pointing an accusing finger to Edward.

"N-No, not like that!" Edward stuttered.

"I wished to entertain you third-floor lords. And I tried to save the trouble of discarding her by having her in the debut. A slight error on my part led to Shirley bonding with her doll during the debut, and even though she was doomed to die, her personality began to develop. That is why these unforeseen events occurred, or so I believe. Perhaps I went too far in staging a shadow's death as some sort of show." Edward explains a whole bunch.

"It is only natural that the failures be culled." Dorothy said.

"We need but those who prove useful to Lord Grandfather. The manner in which the debut was held is another concern. It led the faces to fret over trivial matters." Joseph said with a cigarette in his hand.

"Faces with ideas of their own may cast doubt upon Shadows House." Ryan said.

"Of course, we can have them drink Lots Grandfather's soot coffee to alter their thinking. That swiftly erases their memory, filling them with loyalty towards Grandfather." Ryan then turns angry.

"But what of shadows influenced by the doubts of their faces? Grandfather's soot has no effect on shadows."

"Indeed, the greatest risk lies in shadows being influenced by a doll's defiance. But if we use the coffee to make faces loyal to Loyal Grandfather, that will influence their shadows, so you needn't be concerned. I've had Shirley's living doll, Rum, drink the coffee to reset her memory. She'll be repurposed as a veiled doll. I take great care that malcontents do not take root in--"

As Edward rambles on he got cut off Ryan using his power to grab Edward's neck and drag him down with a powerful thud on the ground.

"You think Ryan is worried about such matters?! No one would dare defy us!"