Chapter 29: Those Newly Come of Age

Continuation of the previous Chapter 28 ♪

Susanna giggles as she reads the contents of the letter while Kate emits soot.

"How amusing this is, Kate!"

"What's written here is truly amazing!" Susanna then walks towards Kate as she corners her to the wall.

"What need was there for you to pass it to him is secret, I wonder?"

"Susanna." Y/N calls out as she walks towards the two.

"Aren't you taking this too far? Do you need to 𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗸 over tea about this matter later with Y/N?" Y/N grabs Susanna's wrist and grabs them. Gently of course.

"Y-Y/N..." Susanna whispers lightly.

"Hmm?" Y/N hums as she looks at Susanna then tilt her head at a 45° angle.

"Don't take it too far now..." Y/N said as Susanna stays stunned but recovers quickly from the little interaction.

𝑻𝒄𝒉! 𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒐𝒚 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕!... 𝑻𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒇𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈...

Susanna turns away from Y/N as Y/N also walks away from her to go back to her original spot after giving Susanna a small hand squeeze.

𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒔... 𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈...

Kate cuts out the awkwardness as she speaks.

"You have taught Kate something." Kate said to Susanna as she turns away to look at the other shadow masters she considers her friends.

"Everyone, look closely. There is a thin sheet of soot enveloping Kate, and you as well. It must have been there since we entered the training room."

The others finally see it as John and Louise panic.

"Huh? Woah, you're right!"

"This is creepy!"

"Could it be that Susanna's soot has a sense of touch, like hands do? Susanna, you asked what Kate passed him. Does that mean you didn't know it was a letter?" Kate states as she looks directly at Susanna.

"Heh." Y/N looks at the interaction with amusement rising in her.

"To think that a student would test Susanna's powers." Said Susanna.

The pause was hanging as the silence felt heavy but a certain someone was holding back the urge to laugh.

Finally, Kate bows down to Susanna as she apologizes.

"Kate is very sorry, Susanna, for doing something so insolent."

"Star Bearers truly are impressive."

"That is absolutely the correct answer! Susanna loves little ones with a deep desire to learn about soot!" Susanna then grabs Kate and proceeds to pat her aggressively and fast.

"Susanna will pat you lots and lots!"

"By the way, this is where I hid the scalpel."

"That's scary!"

"It's just like a magic trick!"

Kate gets up from her knees with the help of Y/N as she shakes her head and regains her thoughts.

𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒉𝒐𝒘, 𝑲𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒂𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒕𝒉 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓.

"Oh, Kate. Are you absolutely certain you want to pass this to John?"

"If you've seen Kate's behavior up to this point, Kate is sure you understand."

"Oh, well, yes. I suppose that's true."

"It was a letter to John?"

"It was supposed to be for Y/N."

"From Y/N?!"

𝑨𝒉 𝒈𝒆𝒆𝒛... 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒈𝒖𝒚...

Kate facepalms herself.

"Read it in your room after you've calmed your heart. I'll pay you later." Susanna puts the letter inside John's pocket as she tells him the last part.

"What?"

Y/N stands near Kate as she snakes her arm around hers. Kate stands there for a while until the door opens abruptly.

There, in front of all of them is a very strong soot that seems to be in a tornado-like behavior.

It swirls and swirls as it keeps blowing wind towards the others in the room.

"Get out!" Barbie yells at the group.

Susanna grabs a hold of the others as she walks towards Kate and Y/N. Y/N stands normally as she looks at Barbara with worry.

Barbara and Barbie make their way further inside the room while the others make their way out though Y/N seems hesitant.

"Were we just given orders by a living doll?" Louise questions as she looks at Barbara and Barbie while walking.

"Barbie is a special case." Y/N said as Susanna continues.

"Yes, Barbie is special. Barbara is sometimes unable to speak, you see."

"Is this all you've got? And you say you're planning to help support the Shadows family?"

They all make it to the front of the door.

"John doesn't understand any of this."

"You will soon, dar- John." Y/N said as John looks at her confused.

"She's helping her emit soot."

Susanna explains John.

𝑹𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚..?

Y/N thought to herself.

"Poor Barbara can't control her soot."

Barbara's screams of agony can still be heard.

"Susanna told you that emitting large amounts of soot greatly increases one's value, didn't she?" Kate turns back to look at the others as Louise walks on.

"That is the reason why Barbara is the leader of the children's wing. Barbara emits sixty percent of the soot Shadows House produces in a day. "

"Sixty percent?! More than all the soot produced by every other shadow combined!?"

"With the volume of soot simply containing it must be very painful. However... Barbara who serves the Shadows family so earnestly, is incredibly beautiful. We should all continue to train. I am certain that anyone can become someone of service to Lord Grandfather.

This is a super short chapter that I made. Enjoy it :) It's a continuation and since I cover a lot of it already so this is easy enough I guess. Stay safe, stay healthy and be happy.

Bye now🫠💖