◌ºঃ you're not meant to be a hero ◌ºঃ

"Fuyumi, why is he here?"

Fuyumi and Shoto gathered in the kitchen where Fuyumi was cooking up dinner, Shoto looking back every so often to where his father and Emiri sat at the dinner table as she talked his ears off about school.

Despite the unsightly appearance of their father, Emiri had banished her two siblings into the kitchen so she could have a private discussion with Enji.

"He has a night shift, so he stopped by for dinner." Fuyumi informed her younger brother, passing him a plate of food to put on the dining table.

"You could've given us a heads up." Shoto whispered, Fuyumi gently hitting the back of his head.

"C'mon, please try to get along." Fuyumi encouraged him, the two glancing at the dining room.

The two watched as Emiri enthusiastically pulled out her maths test she'd been raving about all week, Enji blankly looking down at the red mark on her test sheet.

They couldn't quite hear what they were talking about, but it was safe to say it was about school.

Meanwhile, in the dining room;

" – I'm getting better! In no time, I'll be in the hero course. I just have to beat Shinso's ass and I'll be with Shoto!"

"80% huh?" Enji mumbled, catching her attention. "Grades is one thing, but your combat skills won't get you into the course. Your quirk isn't made for combat. I've told you this a million times."

Emiri shook her head, "I know that only getting good grades won't get me in. But Recover Girl and I have been working really hard – plus! I feel like if you trained me, I could –"

"Emiri." He sternly said. "Our agreement? I only let you go to U.A. so you can become a doctor. You're not meant to be a hero."

Her lips pressed together as she took her test back, folding it before putting it back into her pocket.

"Right, I understand."

Enji, satisfied with her obedience, began eating his dinner while Emiri stood up to let her siblings into the room.

They all began eating together, Emiri and Fuyumi mostly talking and laughing while Emiri tried including their father into the conversation. But he simply just nodded or sometimes downright ignored her. Yet, his aloof attitude didn't seem to damper her mood.

Shoto frowned deeply to himself as he quietly ate. He sensed the uneasiness between Emiri and their father, it was obvious that they had a disagreement despite her smiles and Enji's silence.

He never understood why Emiri tried to get along with their father, or at least tried to include him in everything. Everyone knew he was an egotistic, abusive prick who only did things for his own selfish wants. In Shoto's eyes, Endeavour was a shameful father and hero.

One part of him thought that Emiri, similarly to Fuyumi, just wanted to give Enji a chance and let bygones be bygones. But with someone as outspoken and driven as Emiri, it was peculiar how she let him walk all over her – especially her dreams that she took a lot of pride in.

Sure, he agreed with his dad that Emiri's quirk could never get into the hero course and that encouraging her to do something suited for her quirk. But he was so dismissive of her feelings and incapabilities; Emiri had a maths learning disability, shouldn't he at least let her do what she wanted?

He eyed Emiri as she laughed with Fuyumi.

Emiri was always a lot stronger than he was. She let things go so easily, let people as important as her own father put her down, and smiled through anything.

But as he noticed her eyebags and the way her smile slightly trembled, he couldn't help but worry.

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗

a/n: it seems like a little bit of a filler chapter, but it shows a lot about the Todoroki family dynamics with Emiri added into the picture.