Chapter One

Lyra

The worst day of my life became clear on Monday, August Thirteenth

My heart thumped against my chest, wanting to break through before my eyes slowly opened. The bright fluorescent lights burned them, causing a groan to escape my lips. Soon followed by another one when the pain hit me like a truck.

Panic consumed me as I tried to lift my hand to rub my eyes, but instead it dropped back to the bed after something restrained me.

"Lyra," A deep voice said, one I recognized to be my sister's husband. Alec. "Don't panic, please. I'll get your sister and the doctors." He rushed out of the room.

I blinked rapidly before being able to look around the room, finding a couple of dark blue chairs and a couple of machines close by. I looked at the bed and saw I was restrained to the side. And dread filled me, I was at the hospital. Fuck. 

Fuck.

When my sister walked into the room, her eyes were red and puffy. Her mascara was an awful mess smeared across her face. Alec had his arm around her as they stood in the doorway.

I fucked up. I knew I messed  up beyond repair. This wasn't just an average teenage girl dramatic mess up. This was a terrifying very real fuck up.

It had been thirty days since then. Thirty days of pure agony. Thirty days of constant stares, and whispers. Making my life more than a living hell then it was thirty one days before. The first week of school came fast and too soon, the second I walked through the doors, the halls seemed to be coated with nothing but gossip and whispers.

It bothered me at first, as much as it could, I suppose. After a while, it died down. Someone else became the talk of the school. Though there was one person who refused to let me live that day down-

"Watch where the fuck you're going." A voice snapped, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I looked up and found her. Emily Andrews. She's what you call the school It girl, the girl most girls want to be. Most popular girl in school, perfect strawberry blonde hair, the most perfect symmetrical face that I'd like to smash against her locker, the boyfriend everyone wanted, the life everyone wanted. Here that just made her a top tier Desirable.

The Desirables: The wealthiest, prettiest, snottiest, ego-centric Mount View High students.

"You're the one that bumped into me." I turned slightly, finding her with her hand on her hip and scowl spread across her face.

"What did you just say?" Her eyes widened. "You know, I know you were fucked. But I didn't know you also got brain damage from your little accident, Williams."

"Piss off, Emily." I moved around her and unlocked my locker. Before I could grab my books, Emily slammed it close with her long talons.

"You really don't get to speak to me like that, Freak. Watch where the hell you're going next time. Or you won't like the consequences."

I narrowed my eyes at her, quickly growing frustrated. "Look, I'm sorry."

"You really think I want your pathetic apology?" She scoffed, flipping her strawberry blonde hair behind her. "I wanted you to succeed that day."

Her words made me freeze, goosebumps rose on my skin as a shiver ran down my spine.

"Aw, she's at a loss for words. Let me make something fucking clear to you, Cunt. Stay out of my way, don't you ever fucking touch me again, I'd prefer not to burn my clothes because you touched them. Don't talk to me either and don't act like you stand a single chance against me."

My eyes dropped to the floor, wanting it to be over as my head began to pound.

"That's exactly what I thought, William." She smirked as she hit my shoulder, pushing me into the locker as her heels clicked behind her. 

I winced as I stood up straight, shrugging off the pain in my left shoulder. Instead of grabbing my books, I went straight for the bathroom to hide my tears that were threatening to fall.

I bursted through the door before making sure no one else was in here. As soon as I confirmed that, there was no stopping my tears from escaping. More than anything I wish it all had been a success, yet it wasn't. It wasn't anywhere close to a success.

It all changed, it was never supposed to continue like this. It was never supposed to end like this. Considering my impeccable record of terrible luck, I don't know why I thought my plan might actually be a success. One thing I was successful at was fooling myself.

The bathroom door opened, causing me to quickly drop my head and start washing my hands.

"Lyra?" A voice said softly.

I glanced at the mirror and saw Sasha Kane's black and red hair. "Hi, Sasha."

The few interactions I've had with Sasha were nice, she was a kind person. One of two who didn't fit the typical Desirable. She was different, she didn't flaunt her money, she didn't put others down. She was the complete opposite of Emily.

We had done some science project together last year, and I swore I hadn't laughed that much in a long, long time.

"Are you okay?" Her dark brows curled together as she took a couple steps closer to me. "I noticed you coming in here in a hurry. You looked like you were about to cry."

"I'm okay, thank you though." I moved around her and grabbed a piece of paper towel, and wiped my face with it. "I'm just not feeling the best."

She shook her head and crossed her arms over her chest. "Come on, I'm not going to fall for that."

"I'm fine, thank you though." I told her again and tried to leave. She reached out and stopped me from opening the door.

"Come on," She smiled. "Emily's a stuck up bitch. I saw her walking away from you and her little minions laughing."

"Really, I'm okay. I have to go get my stuff."

"Come to lunch with my friends and I. We'll be at our usual table." She offered me a smile before leaving me alone in the bathroom.

I sighed and pressed my back against the cool tiled wall before running my hand through my hair. It was too much, it was too much too close to the day. Our day - what used to be our day.