Chapter Twelve

River

If it wasn't bad enough she joined our friend group, she came to one of Mel's special dinners. And now she was hanging out with my best friend while I had football practice. I should be the one helping Teddy bake for the twins, not her. She had yet another chance to dig her claws into my friends.

She infuriated me beyond belief. Her claws her dug deep enough that she was being invited to our iHop tradition, un-fucking-believable.
When I got to the school, I realised I had left my phone at Teddy's I had been so consumed by anger that I had even realised I didn't have it on me. My anger drove my practice and I made my team work tonight.

They had been slacking in the last couple of practices, all of them were convinced they didn't have to put in any more work. But we needed to win and we all needed to work together.

An hour after running plays, and running lines, sweat soaked my hair, making it look black. The sweat dripped down my face before I grabbed my shirt I threw to the side and wiped my face.

"Weights for a half hour," I told them. "If I hear any complaints, I'll make it an hour." I turned to school, walking up the path as I took a sip of my water.

"Yo!" A voice yelled out as I heard footsteps close behind me.

I didn't slow down as Kol caught up to me. "You good, Man?" He let out a breath, his face was red. "You haven't worked us like that in a while."

"We don't need to start slacking," I said flatly. "Next weekend is our chance to get into the championships."

"We go this, Riv." He patted my shoulder. "We're going to that game and coming back with our trophy."

We had won the year before, after I became captain of the team. The year before that I was co-captain but did all the work of our Captain who cared more about drinking and fucking anything that moved. I cannot even begin to describe how many times I found him somewhere, usually the locker room during half-time, fucking someone or getting his cock sucked. He hadn't cared about our team, and I was the reason we got to where we were at that point, I was the reason he got a full scholarship to his dream school. I wasn't going to let my team get lazy and ruin our winning streak.

While most of the other guys didn't play other sports, there were a handful of us that did. Along with football, Nick, Kol, West and myself were all on the basketball team with Teddy. Despite my efforts over the years, Teddy could never be convinced to join the football team. It would mean he would have to give up soccer. And he loved soccer, almost as much as Sash.

Some of these guys were counting on our win to secure their full rides. Most of the school came from extreme wealth, which meant their parents would pay for school if they didn't get their scholarship. West's parents were only allowing him to choose his own school if he won. And that was the case for many others too.

"I don't care about the trophy." I pushed open the doors, holding it for Kol as we made our way to the weight room.

It wasn't about the trophy, some was about bragging rights, but it was all about the promise I made all those years ago.

"Thirty minutes." I told Kol, setting down my bottle.

"You need to get laid, Man." He smirked as he came over to me, the rest of the team piling in. "Get that little freak that's attached to Sasha and Teddy to suck your dick."

I shot him a glare. "One, let's not talk about that fucking situation. Two, she is not my type, nor would I touch her. And three, you need to get laid. You tell someone every practice that they need to get laid, someone is obviously deflecting."