Chapter Fifty Seven

River

When we got home a few days later, everyone was extremely tired and I almost convinced Lyra to stay and sleep before going home.

She almost gave in. But her sister had texted her.

At the perfect time.

Teddy took both Sasha and Lyra home before coming back and playing video games.

"Did you have fun?" Teddy asked as he switched one of the newest Madden games.

"Yeah, I did. Did you?"

He nodded. "I'm glad you came with us. It wouldn't have been the same."

I smiled. "I suppose."

"We should talk about the birthday plans."

My birthday was in eight days, January thirteenth.

Eight days until I was eighteen while Ivy never got any older, never celebrated another birthday.

"I don't know. I don't want to celebrate."

"You always want to celebrate. What's up?" He tossed his controller to the side and looked at me. "Talk to me, Riv."

"It feels different. This is something big, she's not here for it."

Teddy was silent for a few seconds, choosing his words carefully and gently. "You know, all the grief and pain you feel, that only meant you loved and cared about so much when she was here. It has never been because you caused her death. Freak accidents happen every single day."

Sure they did.

But I caused it. If I never suggested we went out to play, Ivy may still be here.

I lasted a full forty eight hours until I texted Lyra. I texted her the night before school started again, just after dinner.

Me: I'm coming to pick you up. Pack a bag.

Lyra: Do I not get a choice?

Me: I haven't seen you in two days.

Lyra: Your ultimate dream.

Three words and her attitude were enough to make me smile like a fucking idiot.

Me: Ten minutes at most.

I sat outside Lyra's house as she closed the side door, hurrying over to the car in the cold New York January weather.

She threw her bag in and quickly got in. "Kidnappers don't usually announce to their victims they're kidnapping them. Especially over text."

"If I was going to kidnap you, I wouldn't lead an evidence trail back to me. Kol, definitely."

"Don't even joke about that. He's the first person I would question if anyone went missing."

I laughed while she put her seatbelt on.

"You're in a good mood." I grabbed her chin and kissed her. "Are you hungry?"

She glanced at the house, as if she was making sure no one had been watching us.

"What were you thinking?"

"Burger. Fries. Milkshake."

"I'm only wearing sweats."

My brows creased together. "We can get take out. I'll order ahead and we can eat in my bed."

She nodded. "Okay."

This was the easiest it had ever been to get her to agree to anything.

"Are you okay?"

She sat back. "Yeah. Where are you ordering?"