Chapter Sixty Seven

Lyra

"It's still weird," Amanda gave me a small smile as I watched River and Teddy leave the cafeteria. "You two are cute though."

"Thanks, Amanda." I laughed softly.

River and I have been dating for a little over a week now. And he's made it known to the school. Hand holding. Kissing me before each class, waking me to my classes, getting my books for my next class.

Things were so different.

We were so different.

Everyone seemed to be happy about the fact we're dating, those in his friend group, I mean.

Amanda and Jenna had always been nice to me, they were always welcoming. West and Nick became less cold. And Kol still wasn't the biggest fan of mine.

River was still pissed at him for the shit he pulled with his birthday, even though I told him it wasn't a big deal.

In the time that we've spoken about it since that night, he's remained upset.

"Are you two doing anything fun for Valentine's? There's a party."

I glanced over at Sasha. "We're both busy Valentines. Sorry."

"Come on! Valentine's parties are the best here."

"You've said that about every party we've been to. Things usually don't go too well."

"This one is different. Invite only. Super, super exclusive. And you're River's girlfriend, he's made things loud and clear-"

"Jenna!" Amanda smacked her arm. "He said not to say anything."

I glanced over at Sasha. "Say anything about what? You're going to have to tell me because I'll go ask him myself."

"Isn't he going to start practice soon?"

"He's my boyfriend." I leaned forward on my elbows.

He would be more than happy to have a visit from me during practice.

Amanda and Jenna looked at each other before Amanda opened her mouth.

Sasha's heeled footsteps followed close behind me as I pushed open gym doors.

Some heads turned while others stayed focused on what they were doing. The sound of the basketballs bouncing against the wood floor filled the large gym.

River stood in the centre talking to Teddy, in his black shorts and black jersey, while nodding over to a group of boys practising layups.

Teddy nodded over to us, making River turn to us. He tossed Teddy the ball before meeting me halfway.

"Hi, Baby."

"Hi, did you warn your teams they better treat me like royalty and if they have a problem with me, they'll end up with a broken nose and a cast?"

He grabbed my waist with a smile. "It's nice to see you too. No, I said they're going to treat you like fucking royalty or they're going to end up with a broken nose, two black eyes, and a cast. Meaning they're off whatever team. Details."

"You can't just threaten people."

"I can. I did, and people are very nice to you. Are you skipping class?"

"You're concerned about me skipping class right now?" I glanced around before pressing my hands against his chest. "I'm serious, River."

"So am I. There are times where people need to be put in their places. Just stop being upset with me. Please."