Chapter Thirty Five

River

I opened the front door while I held the box of books close to my chest. There was Lyra looking bored, scrolling through her phone with her airpods in. "Hey." I mumbled, setting the box down on the counter. "Teddy here?"

She took one airpod out and shook her head. "You can just put it in the office for Mel. She's in tomorrow morning."

I nodded and took the box to the back office, setting it down on the messy desk before going back out the front area. Lyra had a closed book beside her as she scrolled on her phone.

"It's raining pretty hard, do you want a drive home?" I shoved my hands into my pockets, leaning against the wall behind her. "I'll drive you back in the morning."

She looked back at me, "I'll be good, thanks."

"Are we still meeting tomorrow? To study?"

She nodded. "Library?"

"You can just come over. The house is empty, with more space."

"Alright. Thank you for the books."

"You sure you don't want a drive home? I can help you close."

"All closing stuff is done, I'm just waiting for closing time."

I nodded, "I think I'll make sure you get to your car."

She rolled her eyes and we didn't talk much until we were about to leave. "You didn't bring a jacket? Or a sweater?"

"Left my jacket at Sasha's."

I stared down at her before grabbing the back of the hoodie and pulling it over my head, holding it out to her. "You're just wearing a shirt. Take it."

"No, I'll make it to my car fine."

"Lyra, I'll put it on you myself."

She clenched her jaw, snatching the sweater from my hand, putting it over her head. My sweater was much bigger on her, pooling at her sides. "Thanks." She lifted the hood over her dark hair.

I opened the door for her, letting her out first. She locked the door and we walked back to her car.

"Night, River. Thanks for another hoodie."

I nodded. "Goodnight."

I went back to my car as she pulled out of the parking lot. I went back to my car, heading back to my house. Once I was home, I found Lyra's number that I stole from the back office and texted her: It's River, don't get mad at Sasha for giving me your number. Did you make it home?

I tossed my phone on my bed and got into different clothes.

By the time I went back to my bed, Lyra had Texted me back.

Lyra: I'm terrified you have my number, I'll be blocking you soon.

Me: Don't worry, I'll be blocking you too.

Lyra: Good. Thanks for your hoodie.

Me: Don't ruin it.

Lyra held up the flash card, her legs crossed under her and she had her hair up today. We had been studying for only a couple hours at this point. Sasha was helping Teddy study. He had the hardest time studying, especially Bio. Sasha was the only one that was able to help him study well enough.

The answer left my lips quickly.

A small smile touched her plump, baby pink lips that were shinny from her lip gloss. "Correct."

"See, I'm a genius."

"Okay, Super Ego." She rolled her eyes.

The doorbell rang and I grabbed my wallet from the middle of the table before going to the door. I paid for the chinese food and brought it to the kitchen.