ch. 45

The day is September 8th, the day before the big battle. You've been training with Mikeys grandpa since dawn till dusk all day.

But, right now. The two of you are kneeling down enjoying some tea. "So, do you think you can defeat Manjiro?" His grandfather asked me as he set his cup down on the table.

"With the training that you've given me, I'm positive." You said as the old man cracked a smile.

"I got you a little something too." He said as he got up from his kneeling position and used his walking aid to bring him over to a box that was resting beside the door.

As he carried the box over, he placed it down on the table and pushed the box over to me. "Thank you." I said nodding my head as I took off the lid on the box to reveal a uniform.

Taking the uniform out of the box, I stared at it in confusion. "That uniform was Shinichiros when he first began. When Shinichiro passed, he gave his uniform to Manjiro but he couldn't accept it. So, I feel that it would be only fitting for you to wear it. Of course, you don't have to. I just thought it would be a nice gesture." He spoke as I looked at the uniform.

"I'll wear it, thank you so much." You said to him as he smiled again.

"It's getting late. I should head home." You said glancing up at the clock that was hung on the wall.

"Yes, you have a big day tomorrow. Don't forget everything that I've thought you this far." He said to you as you nodded your head.

"Thank you so much." You said to the old man as you hugged him gently being careful not to crush him.

"Just be sure to bring him home. He cares an awful lot about you." Mikeys grandfather said as I smiled to myself.

"Does he?" I asked. "Yes, the stories I heard from him about you were amazing. He even wrote books and letters to you. I think he still has them." The old man said as he led you to Mikeys bedroom.

Opening the door, there was dust particles everywhere in the air showing you that there wasn't any activity in this room for years.

"Over there." He said as you walked over to Mikeys bedside table and found a small wooden box.

"It's locked." You said seeing a 4 digit padlock on the box. "Well, how about you bring it home with you. It might help." He said as you tucked the box under you arm.

As the old man walked you to the door, you bowed your head in a way of thanks for everything he has done and thought you these past few weeks and months.

"Take care tomorrow!" He yelled to you as you turned your head and smiled while waving.

Walking back home, you slipped your headphones over your ears as you played your favourite song.

Getting a gut feeling some one was following you, you turned your head and saw Koko.

"Koko?" You asked in confusion as he walked towards you with his hands in his pockets.

"Can we talk?" Koko asked you as you nodded your head. "Follow me." Koko said nudging his head and you followed him.

Walking through the streets, neither of you spoke a word. What did Koko want?

"So... What do you want?" You asked Koko as he sighed.

"Well, I was thinking. In the battle of the three deities. Mikey didn't fight you. It was almost like... You stopped his impulses." Koko said to you.

"What do you mean?" You asked Koko in confusion.

"What I mean to say is, tomorrow, in the battle. Please try and stop Mikey. You saw what happened the last time with South. I can't bare with seeing another meaningless death." Koko replied as you nodded my head.

"I'll try." You said to Koko as he smiled slightly.

"Thank you." Koko said as you turned on your heel and returned back home to your home.

Stepping in the door, you sighed as you took off your shoes. "You're home!" Mei said in delight.

"Sorry." You said to Mei as she plated up your dinner. "Here." Mei said pushing the plate towards you.

Sitting down at the counter, you began to eat your food as Mei stared at the box in confusion.

"What's that?" Mei asked as you sighed.

"Apparently, Mikey wrote me letters. His grandfather gave me them. Only thing is, it's locked by a code." You said as Mei slid the box towards herself.

"Hmm, have you tried anything?" Mei asked as you shook your head.

"What about the day you two started dating?" Mei asked as she slid the box towards you.

Chewing your food, you input the code 0-3-0-8. Heading a click, you looked in shock at the box as you quickly took off the lock.

"Finish your food first, and then you can read them." Mei said as you quickly ate your food and grabbed the box before running into your room.

Taking out a letter that was dated back in July 2005. Opening the pieces of paper, you began to read it to yourself.
____________________________

July- 2005

Today, I met the most amazing girl ever. She's so full of life. I made a new friend, Takemichi Hanagaki but I call him Takemitchy.

Takemitchy brought us to his friends house and that's when I met her.

It was almost like, she was a beautiful goddess and I was a measly human. It was almost like... I had fallen in love with an angel.

I know that it's early to say. But her beautiful (h/c) hair and her gorgeous (e/c) eyes that I could stare into for hours and never get tired of them.

What's wrong with me?

Why have I fallen for a girl I know nothing about?

It's stupid, right?
___________________________

Closing the letter, you stared at the letter in disbelief as you felt tears brim your eyes.

Rummaging through the box again, you found one from 2006.

Opening the pages again, you looked and saw the date and it was the date that Mikey left.
___________________________

I hate myself. Why did I leave? Why didn't I say anything?

I can't just say to her I'm leaving. It would hurt (y/n) too much. So, it's better to just leave without saying a word.

What do I even say?

I love her too damn much. She brought something to my days that I will never forget. She's like the light at the end of the tunnel.

But now, she must watch the stars through tears and not follow the one cold star that leads to her destiny.

Her smile would brighten up my days. How do I live without her?

I can't!

I can't live without her!
__________________________

Staring in disbelief at the letters, you dried the tears that came running down your cheeks. "I can't live without you either, Mikey." You said as the tears continued to fall.