Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Phew..." Deuce said as soon as we made it to the hallway. "We managed to avoid expulsion. That was a close one!"

"Yeah, no kidding!" said Ace.

"La la la la la!" Grim said, skipping along cheerfully. "I'm a student at Night Raven College! La la la! I'm gonna be the top mage on campus in no time." He stopped to smirk at Ace and Deuce. "Enjoy eating my dust, boys!"

Ace smirked. "Big words for a sentient pile of lint who's literally only half a student. Still... Good for you."

"I guess we're schoolmates now," Deuce said. "Grim, Ona — welcome to Night Raven."

I offered him a small smile. "Thanks. I just hope this all goes well..." I was still a bit intimidated at the prospect of being a student in a magical academy.

"The way you squared off against that monster even when you didn't have a bit of magic showed a whole lot of guts. With steel nerves like that, you'll be fine. Even in this school."

"Really?"

Deuce smiled at me. "Sure. You have nothing to worry about."

"Say, what's the deal with you sometimes talking like a punk, anyway?"

A panicked look crossed Deuce's face. "Huh?! D-do I? I think I talk pretty normal."

I lifted my eyebrows. "Uh huh..." Very suspicious...

"Whatever," said Ace. "Let's just get back to the dorm. After nearly getting expelled, the last thing we need is a curfew violation." We resumed walking.

"We're from Heartslabyul House, by the way," said Deuce. "What dorm are you guys in?"

"The dorm we're in has been abandoned for years..." Grim said. "We've taken to callin' it 'Ramshackle House.' The ol' dump is literally full of ghosts. Yeesh."

"Hey, count your blessings," said Ace. He jerked his thumb at Deuce. "I'd rather deal with ghosts than have to see this guy's smug, self-important scowl every day."

"Better than your lazy, dopey grin," said Deuce.

"Keep bawling, crybaby. I haven't forgotten how you almost wept when he said you were expelled. Catch ya later, Ona." Ace waved at me before abruptly leaving with Deuce.

"Oh, um-" I mumbled.

"Man, those two are made for each other," said Grim. "Maybe they're the type who bond through squabbling?"

I shrugged. "Could be."

"Anyway, Ona, let's get back to the dorm!"

I gave him a tired smile. "Yeah, I need the rest!"

"Tomorrow when we wake, it won't be as janitors. Finally, finally... My glorious education as a proper Night Raven College student is about to begin!" He jumped into the air with his fist raised high.

I could not help but feel excited as well. "Tomorrow is certainly going to be an adventure."

***

I had the strangest dream. I was in a strange world with people shaped like cards who were painting white roses red while a girl looked on in confusion. The cards told the girl that the queen wanted the roses red or it was off with their heads. Very peculiar. Then I awoke to the most obnoxious sound.

"Myaaah... Hey, Ona..." Grim groaned. "I know it's the middle of the night, but I think we've got a visitor. Maybe it's those pesky ghosts again? They just don't know when to quit."