Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Grim snored loudly in the bed beside me. Then he began to sleep talk. "Mmm. Didja see that... Totally wrecked 'em with my power shot..."

"Grim's sleep talk has me wide awake," I mumbled. Maybe a walk would help me clear my head. I got up and headed outside. I was still not used to the cool air that greeted me, but it almost felt nice. "I wonder when I'll be able to go home."

"Hm? Who's that over there?" said a voice.

I spun around. "A ghost?!" No, it was only a boy with horns. He regarded me with cool eyes.

"Well, this is a surprise. A child of man, are you?" My eyes fell to his yellow armband. Which house was that? "Do you live here? I was under the impression that this dorm had been abandoned for some time. I quite enjoy having a place where I could go to enjoy the peace of solitude."

"Who are you?" I asked.

The boy stared at me. "Who am I...? You really don't know who I am? Interesting. What is your name?"

I looked at him curiously. "It's Ona. But I believe it's customary to introduce oneself first?"

"You wish to know my name? Hm. I'd rather you remain unaware. It's for your own benefit, I assure you. Instead, I will permit you to call me by a name of your choosing. Although you may one day regret it..."

"Okay..." This guy was a little strange, but at least he was not openly hostile.

"But alas... If you have taken up residence here, then this abandoned dorm is no longer 'abandoned.' Pity. I shall have to find some other ruins for my next nocturnal constitutional. Farewell."

"He's gone...?" I said, tilting my head to the side. What an interesting guy.

***

I had another dreams about the lions. This time, the younger brother of the king plotted to take over the kingdom. Why not try to reach some kind of agreement? I pondered the dream as I got ready for the day. Grim was quick to get me out the door and to Main Street. Along the way, I told him about my mysterious encounter the previous night.

"Huh!" Grim said. "A weird dude with horns? Did this dude have a name?"

"He told me to call him by a name of my choosing," I said.

"Ooh, ooh, let me pick it! Howsabout... 'Hornton!'"

I smiled. "That works!"

"If Hornton's a student here, who knows when we might run into him? If we do, introduce me! I ain't never seen a human with horns before."

"Mornin', Ona," Cater said, walking up to us with Riddle.

"Hm. Your tie is crooked, you know," Riddle said. "A disorderly uniform suggests a disorderly dorm. As prefect, you should set a better example for your dorm members. Even if you only have the one." He stepped forward until he was extremely close to me. I wanted to step back out of instinct but stopped when he took hold of my tie. He fix it and then stepped back, smiling. I could not remember seeing him smile before. It was much nicer than when he was angry. "...There. All better."

I smiled back at him. "Thanks." For some odd reason, I felt connected to him.

"So, where's Ace and Deuce?" said Grim.

"In accordance with rule 249, it's their turn to wear pink clothes and feed the flamingos," Riddle replied. "By the way, it seems there was another incident last night."

"Myah?! Really?!"

"According to a portrait who witnessed it, the victim was a sophomore from Scarabia House," said Cater. "His name is Jamil Viper. It appears the accident happened in the kitchen."