Chapter 59

Chapter 59

We made it through the containment facility. Then we came across another one. I was beginning to wonder how long this would take. We were not even halfway down. Then I started to shiver from the cold.

"You cold, Little Shrimpy?" Floyd said with a frown. "Do you want my jacket?"

I shook my head. "Thanks, but I'll be fine."

"We're quite a ways down from the entrance, and it's only getting colder," said Vil.

"There's an updraft coming from beneath us," said Rook.

"It is kinda chilly even with my dorm uniform on..." said Epel.

I glanced at Rook. "I probably would've froze by now if I hadn't borrowed one of your dorm uniforms."

"Our uniforms aren't just resistant to the cold," said Rook. "They're also highly resistant to magic. If you weren't wearing one, the blot would've affected you by now. And doesn't it have a beautiful design? It looks most magnifique on you, Ona."

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks. I do think it's nice."

"Part of our uniform's distinct style is the hanging sleeves made with copious amounts of fabric. They flutter beautifully with every motion. With such voluminous sleeves, you would have no trouble warming a chilly friend. Don't worry - we'll find Grim. Let us have faith in that and press forward."

I nodded. "Yes, I hope Grim is faring well." Suddenly, the ground began to shake. I held onto Floyd to steady myself. He wrapped an arm around me and pulled me close to him.

"An earthquake?!" Vil exclaimed.

"Aah!" Epel cried. "I'm gonna fall off the stairs!"

"This is no earthquake!" Rook shouted. "It's..." Suddenly, a huge phantom made of stone appeared, towering over us. I hid behind Floyd as everyone tried to fight it off.

"What in tarnation is that mountainous rock monster?!" Epel said when there was a pause in the battle. He and the others were panting heavily.

"Could that be one of the original Phantoms?!" said Vil.

"It matches the description the staff in the control room gave us," said Rook. "I believe this is the stone Phantom - the Earth Titan!"

"I'll slow it down." Vil raised his pen. "O ice, freeze that monster's feet to the ground! Hah!"

"GWAAARGH!" the titan boomed.

"Dang..." said Epel. "It shook off Vil's spell like it was nothin'!"

"JUUUPITEEER! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

"Rgh... We'd better retreat!" said Vil. "The map says the Thunder Spear hangar's just up ahead!"

"Oui!" said Rook. "I shall cover the rear. Everyone, to the hangar!"

"Come on!" Floyd said, pulling my arm so I could keep up with him as we ran.

"There it is now!" Vil shouted, pointing ahead.

"Rook, hurry up!" Epel called back. Finally, we reached the hangar. We ran inside and shut the door behind us. The titan immediately started to try to break in. "The door's shaking somethin' fierce... Is the Titan ramming into it?! Aw, crud! It's gonna break it down!"

"Where is the Thunder Spear?" Rook said, looking around.

"I'm looking!" said Vil. He held up the map. "Let's see, there's a control panel on the wall at A-16..."

"I heard something open."

I looked around the room and then pointed to a wall. "Something's glowing in there!" We all rushed forward. Floyd got there first and opened the container. We all gathered around and stared in awe at the giant, glowing, golden spear.