Chapter 56

Chapter 56

"Clear skies, warm sun... What prime flying weather this is!" Rook said bright and early in the morning.

"Uh... Yeah, sure," Epel mumbled. I shared his sentiment. We had spent the whole night traveling without a wink of sleep. Even though I was only a passenger, I was exhausted.

"Hm? You seem a bit distant, Epel. Are you feeling fatigued from our long-distance flight?"

"Well, there is that, but... I'm still floored."

Rook looked at him curiously. "About what?"

"Your family villas were spectacular!"

"Oh, that's what this is about! Well, you're always welcome to pop by for a visit."

"Those villas were mighty fine. I couldn't imagine just swingin' by on a lark... You know what I mean, right, Ona?"

I smiled slightly. "They were incredible." They were the highlight of the trip.

Rook laughed. "Perhaps I'll invite Vil and the whole NRC tribe over for a pajama party. My siblings do use them at times... But I'm sure they'd be happy to let me use one, as long as I notify them in advance."

"Oh, you've got siblings, Rook?" said Epel. "How many do you have?"

"Five. Two are older than me, and three are younger."

"Oh, so there are six of you..." Epel's eyes widened. "Wait, six is kind of a lot!"

"Yes, we're rather a large clan. We only get together about once a year, as it's difficult for everyone's schedules to line up. But things get quite lively when we're together! Hahaha!"

"It's strange. The more I learn about you, the more mysterious you become."

Rook suddenly became alert. "Oh! Epel. Ona. Floyd."

"Hm?" said Floyd. He had been flying upside down, ignoring our conversation.

"We are approaching the area where my mark from Arrow Afar faded."

"And that's where the Island of Woe is?" Epel said.

"Yes. Let us descend."

"Finally!" Floyd said. "I hope we get some action!"

"And I hope everything goes smoothly," I said. We flew down until we hovered above the ocean.

"Huh... I don't see any sandbars, much less an island," Epel said. "Are you sure this is the place, Rook?"

"I'm certain of it," said Rook. "There's no question Vil's group is here!"

"Then what do we do?" I asked.

Rook smiled. "We make ourselves known." To my astonishment, he sent a spell hurling towards the ocean. It seemed to bounce off in mid-air, but I knew it must have hit something. He then raised his voice. "Bonjour, islanders of woe! I am a seeker and defender of beauty. They call me Rook Hunt, le Chasseur d'Amour! One of the people you abducted was my boon companion. Now I have come to rescue Vil Schoenheit from mortal peril!"

It did not take long for several figures to appear out of the ocean. "We've got visual on the assailant," said one of them. "Proceeding with capture."

"Ah!" Epel exclaimed. "It's the armored guys that took Vil and the others! I guess that means you were right, Rook. Yer signature spell's somethin' else!"

"Listen up, all both of you," Rook said. "We will go through the motion and fight for a while, then promptly surrender."

"What?" Floyd said with a frown. "I can take them!"