Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Vil made us practice late to make up for Deuce and Epel's absence. I felt tired after dinner. While everyone else hung around to chat, I found my way to one of the chairs in the lounge. I pulled out the book Floyd had given me. I gazed at the cover, admiring the pretty mushrooms.

"You're that interested in mushrooms?"

I glanced at Jamil, his expression unreadable. "Floyd gave this to me."

"Floyd likes mushroom?"

I smiled. "No, he hates them, actually. But Jade loves them."

"Floyd is trying to set you up with Jade?"

I was confused for a second, and then I recoiled in surprise. "What? No! He just wants me to be closer to his brother. There's nothing wrong with that. He's important to him, so he wants him to be important to me too."

"So, you are doing this for Floyd?"

I gripped the edges of the book. "I don't have to explain myself to you. I'm doing it because I want to."

Jamil was silent for a moment before speaking again. "If you're looking for a romantic interest, I think Kalim would be perfect for you.

I stared at him in shock. "What?"

"Think about it. He shares your sense of morals, has a personality you obviously find pleasing, and he is quite well off. You would never want for anything if you married him."

"Married?! Are you out of you mind?!"

Jamil looked at me oddly. "No. It's quite a normal suggestion."

"In who's world?" There was nothing about this world that told me this kind of thing was normal. Then again, the different countries might have different customs. "Is this part of your job?"

"Not technically..."

"Then stay out of it! If I was interested in Kalim - which I'm not - I would do something about it. I don't need your help. And I doubt Kalim would need your help in that department either."

"Sorry for bothering you." Jamil sounded almost offended, but he did leave me alone after that. I managed to read a few pages of my book. When I returned to my room with Grim, I decided to text someone about the strange encounter. My fingers paused over my messages with Jade. Would he really want to hear from me? I'd hate to bother him or have him ignore me. I remembered what Floyd told me, and I decided that his assurance was good enough for me. I quickly typed out a message.

Ona: Jamil tried to arrange a marriage for me to Kalim today.

I need not have worried. The reply was almost instant.

Mushroom Eel: Did you accept?

I stared at the phone for a long moment before I burst out laughing. "What's so funny?" Grim said from his bed. "Who are you texting?"

I grinned at the phone. "Jade."

"What? Since when is Jade funny?"

"You have no idea." I knew there was no way to be serious. He was teasing me again. And just like that, all the tension from my day melted away.

Ona: No! Of course not.

Mushroom Eel: Why not? Kalim is almost like a prince. You would be very well off. And you do get along.

Ona: Jamil said the same thing.

Mushroom Eel: Then what's the problem?

Ona: For starters, what do I have to offer Kalim? I'm not rich or from a well-known family. I have no magic. I'm not even from this world. Why would Jamil possibly think I'm a good match for him?