Chapter 57

Chapter 57

"What did you think, Little Shrimpy?" Floyd asked me with a happy smile.

We had just finished watching the movie about the mermaid princess who learned to live on land for the sake of true love. Rook went on about how beautiful the story was, and Epel agreed that he would like to find a love like that. Floyd watched me excitedly for my reaction.

"It was a wonderful story," I said. "Leaving behind your entire world for something totally new is something I can relate to."

"Oh, you're from a different world than this one, aren't you, Ona?" Epel said.

I nodded. "That's right."

"What would you do if you were in the princess' position, Shrimpy?" Floyd asked me curiously. "Would you stay here if you found your true love?"

I hesitated. It was something that had crossed my mind before. In fact, I thought about staying for reasons other than true love. "Well, I wouldn't stay just for true love, but it could be the deciding factor. It would be something I would have to talk about with him. Maybe he would decide to join me in my world. Why should I be the one to make the huge sacrifice?"

"That's fair enough," said Epel. "The princess was attracted to land for reasons other than the prince."

"But isn't the idea of abandoning everything for the sake of true love romantic?" said Rook.

"So, what's your answer?" said Floyd.

"I suppose my answer is yes," I said. "My dad did kind of give up his world for my mom's world. I know she would have done the same thing for him, but it just worked out better for him to join her on her island. So, yes, I would be willing to do the same for my true love. I wouldn't give him up just so I could go home. We would work something out." I smiled, feeling happy with this conclusion.

Floyd grinned. "Good! I hope you do find true love here, because I don't want you to leave."

His response made me happy. I was glad that I was so important to him. If I did have to choose between two worlds without true love as a factor, the decision would be extremely difficult. I did not look forward to it. "What about you, Floyd? Are you looking for true love?"

Floyd shrugged. "I'm not looking for it, but I wouldn't mind if it found me." His expression suddenly grew more serious as he looked at me. "I used to think it was impossible for me to find love, and I didn't want anything to do with it. But I didn't think I could find a true friend either. You proved me wrong, Little Shrimpy. And if you can accept me for who I am, then I know others can too. And maybe one of them will be my true love."

My heart melted a bit at his words. I was so happy to hear that I had made such a profound impact on him. It was good to see him taking lessons he learned from our relationship and being willing to apply them to others. It gave me faith that, even if I did have to leave him, he would be alright. I smiled warmly at him. "If you want true love, I'm sure you'll find it."

Floyd grinned at me. "Thanks! I don't mind if I don't find it, though. I don't need it. As long as I have Jade and friends like you and Azul, I'll be fine!"

I nodded with a smile. "That's a healthy attitude to have."

"What of your brother?" Rook said. "Does Jade dream of true love?"

Floyd smiled. "He would never admit it, but I think he longs for a relationship like that."

"Really?" I said.

Floyd looked at me and nodded. "Jade doesn't get close to people very easily, but when he does, he gives them his full attention. I know he would love to have someone he could share everything with in a very deep love. I think finding true love would make him quite happy and fulfill his needs. And I can see him being very devoted romantic to his partner, can't you?"