Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Kalim's cooking process took way too long. Every second in the botanical garden left me even more anxious. I constantly looked around for any sign of monsters. Cater appeared calmer on the outside, but I could tell he was also restless.

"Where is Jade?" I muttered. I would feel better if he were here with us.

"Maybe he ditched us," Cater said.

I froze. "No."

Cater glanced at me. "He knows this is a massacre waiting to happen. Why would he return?"

My eyes narrowed. "He promised he would return."

"You believe him? I don't know, Ona, from what Riddle tells me about him-"

"I didn't say he wouldn't abandon anyone like that in general. He wouldn't abandon me."

Cater appeared surprised. "Are you saying... you're special to him?"

I hesitated. My first instinct was to deny it, but that was not right. I knew the truth. "Yes. Yes, I am."

Cater smiled. "I believe you."

My eyes widened in surprise. "You do?"

"Sure. I see the way he looks at you. He seems to always be smiling, but the way he smiles at you is way different."

A smile spread across my face at the thought. "Yeah, it is."

"Okay, the meat's done!" Kalim said happily. "Top it with all the veggies and pickles you like, then wrap it all up in the bread."

"Meow-wow-wow-wow, thanks for the chow!" Grim said. He immediately chomped down. "Mmm, s'good! It's spicy, but with this salty-sweet sauce that blends with the meat's flavor and elevates it to a whole other level!"

"One sec, Cater and Ona. I'll whip up a couple for you, too. The meat shouldn't take much longer. Just sit tight for a few."

"Yeaaah, I think I'm gonna pass, actually," said Cater.

"Me too," I said. The sooner we got out of here, the better.

"Aw, don't be shy!" said Kalim. "There's more than enough to go around."

"Yeesh... Jade needs to get back, and fast," said Cater.

"I know," I muttered.

Kalim blinked. "Why? I don't see what the big hurry is."

"Look," said Cater, "all I'm saying is that this grilling you're doing makes for a strong smell that carries surprisingly far..."

"Farmers spotted!" came Jamil's voice. "There's a group of them!" A couple of other monsters shouted their approval.

Kalim looked around in confusion. "Huh? Jamil?!"

"Mrow?!" Grim said, looking around at all the monsters. "Where'd all these monster team guys come from?!"

"Yeah, that's about what I was expecting," said Cater. "Cooking something that smells that strong and distinctive is basically painting a giant bullseye on yourself."

"The spices in shawarma are potently fragrant, it's true," said Jamil. "I was honestly just trying to make sure Kalim had a nourishing lunch today. This was an unexpected windfall."

"Yeah, like I buy that," I said.

"Using food to lure folks into a trap is playin' dirty!" Grim grumbled.

"I think we'd better make a break for it, guys!" said Cater. I grabbed Grim and ran with him.

"After them!" Jamil shouted. "Don't let them escape!"