Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Heyyy!" Ace shouted from the distance. "Ona! Grim!"

"Are you two okay?!" Deuce cried. The two of them stopped before Grim and me and bent over, panting heavily.

"Ace and Deuce?!" Grim exclaimed.

"Sheesh, this place is HOT," said Ace. "Feels like summer over here!"

"What's wrong, guys?" I said, confused.

"Uh, I'M the one who should be asking that!" said Ace.

"Your text said, 'Trapped in Scarabia!'" said Deuce. "Then we couldn't get through to you..."

"Oh, the text..." I said. Whoops. I had forgotten all about that.

"Oh yeah," said Grim. "I guess I did tell you to contact them. I knew you guys wouldn't be much help, and here you are, showin' up after everything's already solved."

"What?!" Ace said. "Look! The mirror gate wasn't open, so we couldn't warp back with magic! We had to take public transportation all the way back to campus!"

"You... came all this way to help us?" I said. They did care.

"I'm kinda lost here," said Deuce. "You guys seem like you're having a good time. I'm not seeing any emergencies."

"Who's this?" Kalim said as he came up to us. "Friends of yours, Ona?"

"Heya, Crabby," said Floyd. "Are you here to hang out?"

"Crabby...?" said Deuce.

"Yeah, I'm in the Basketball Club with Floyd," said Ace. "Jamil's in the same club as us too, actually."

"Ooh!" Kalim said excitedly. "Well, then! Any friend of Jamil's is a friend of mine."

"Again, I am NOT your friend—" Jamil said before sighing. "You're not listening, are you?"

"Anyway, you came all the way here, so by all means, join in the festivities!"

"We have pizza and pasta over here," said Azul.

"What would you like to drink?" said Jade.

"Geh!" Ace exclaimed, and Deuce recoiled. "The Octavinelle boys!" I made a special note that they had not freaked out when they saw Floyd. Perhaps they were learning?

"What are you doing with them?" Deuce said in a low voice.

"You don't have a problem with us, do you?" said Jade, putting an arm around my shoulder.

Floyd mimicked his actions. "Yeah, is there a problem?"

Ace and Deuce widened their eyes and took a step back. "No problem at all!" they said.

I rolled my eyes. "Cut it out, you two. You're scaring them on purpose."

"We were in a whooole heap o' trouble while you guys were off schmoozing with your families, y'know," Grim said. "Sit down and I'll tell you all about the Great Grim's exploits!"

"What ARE you rambling about?" said Ace. He shook his head. "Oh well. I guess as long as you're okay..."

"Yeesh," said Deuce. "It's one false alarm after another with you guys."

I smiled at them. "Aw. You really were worried about us." I pulled away from the twins so I could embrace Deuce and Ace.

"H-Hey!" Ace said. "It was no big deal. There wasn't much to do at home other than play video games anyway."