Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Yes!" Kalim cheered. "I think I managed to memorize a spell I was having trouble with!"

"Good job, Kalim," I said with a smile. I glanced at Jamil, who appeared less than pleased. "Is there a problem?"

"Not at all," said Jamil. "Next, we need to-"

"We should head outside," said Azul. "Good idea, Jamil."

"Come on, everyone!" Kalim said. We all changed into our gym uniforms and went outside, where Azul took charge once again.

"Proper exercise is critical to honing a more efficient mind for study," he explained. "However, overstraining yourself will have an adverse effect."

"Mock battles are a good way to exercise while venting stress," said Jade.

"Aha ha! I'm in the mood to cut loose, so count me in!" said Floyd. He looked around. "Hmmm, who to fight?"

"All right, split into teams of five and let the melee begin!" Kalim said with a grin. "Aha ha! Mock bottles really are fun. And they're a great way to gauge the results of your training."

"Yes, Housewarden!" said the Scarabian students while Jamil sighed.

After training for awhile, we headed to the school cafeteria to cook lunch. "There's one main reason we've grown as well as we have," Azul said. "And that would be... our diet, of course! It's about getting the nutrients you need... not too many and not too few. This helps your afternoon performance."

"Cooking is an essential life skill for gaining an understanding of food and developing a healthy diet," said Jade.

"Maybe I should start cooking every now and then..." said Kalim. "I wouldn't have to worry about poison if I prepared meals myself."

"Don't," said Jamil. "You'll injure yourself again."

"Again?" I said.

Kalim smiled sheepishly. "Yeah..."

"Okay, Sea Otter," said Floyd. "You're in charge of stirrin' the pot."

"Keep an eye on that soup and make sure it doesn't boil over, would you?" said Jade.

Kalim beamed at them. "Sure thing! Glad to help."

"All right, everyone. Let's make this a meal to remember."

"Yes, sir!" said the Scarabian students.

"Okay, I'm going to make the best-tasting soup ever!" Kalim said with a grin.

"I worry about having you cook on your own," said Jamil. "I'll help."

"No need to fret, Jamil," said Azul. "We will aid him."

"You just sit back and relax," said Jade.

"Fine..." Jamil grumbled. Once again, he did not look happy at all. I kept near Kalim to assist him as well - and to stay away from Jamil.

"Scalding Sands cuisine is delicious," Azul said after tasting some of the soup. "Perhaps we should add some to our menu. Though it might be difficult to procure ingredients and learn to cook them properly."

"I'll help with that!" said Kalim. "I'd love it if everyone knew how great our food is. I can get all the spices and have one of my family's chefs come to instruct you."

"That would be grand! Let's work out the wording of the contract later."

"Hey, I'm all for that," I said. "This food is delicious!"