Chapter 27

Chapter 27

We endured one more hard day of training. Kalim returned to his happy personality when we reached the oasis. I tried to talk to him about the situation when we returned to the lounge, but he kept getting distracted. When I finally had his attention, he went off with Jamil, and when he returned, he was back to being a tyrant.

I still had my suspicions, but I had no proof and lacked the experience to obtain it. I really needed some help with this. I knew where to turn, but I first had to escape. So, Grim and I continued working on our hole when we were finally allowed back in our room.

"Whoa!" Grim exclaimed in the middle of his digging. "Ona! Hey, Ona!"

"Hmm?" I said, walking over to him.

Grim pointed excitedly at the hole. "Look. The hole finally reaches the other side of the door! I couldn't get it too big, but hey. They say as long as you can get your head through a hole, the rest follows easy enough."

"That's some animal logic right there."

"I'll go through first and pull you through second. Now, let's get this show on the road!"

"Right." I waited until Grim got to the other side before I attempted to squeeze through. To say it was difficult was an understatement.

"Phew... We finally made it out of that stupid room."

"I suddenly understand how pasta must feel going through a pasta maker."

"Okay, let's get back to Ramshackle Dorm while we can. Just gotta be niiice and quiet..." A loud growl sounded from Grim's stomach. "Mrow!? Ah, crud! I was diggin' so hard there, it made me hungry..."

"What was that earth-shaking noise just now?!" said the voice of a Scarabian student.

"It came from the Ramshackle students' room!" said another student.

"Whuh-oh. We're in trouble now!" said Grim. A moment later, the students rounded the corner.

"What do you think you're doing there?!" said the first student.

"Myah, they found us!"

"What are you doing outside?!" said the second student. "I know we locked that door tight!"

The first student bent down to examine the floor. "Ah! There's a hole in the floor! You really don't know when to give up, do you?"

"We've got runners! After them!"

"If they catch us, it's back to the life of a prisoner!" said Grim. "Cheese it!" I bolted down the hallway, away from the students.

"After them! After them!" cried the students.

"Let's duck into a random room and let 'em pass us!"

"Alright!" I said. I opened the nearest door and ran inside, slamming it as soon as Grim got in. I leaned my back against the door, my heart pounding.

"Where'd they go?" I heard the first student say. "Split up and find them!"

"Show yourselves, street rats!" said the second student. Their footsteps grew louder before softening.

"Phew..." Grim said. "I think they're gone."

"It's only a matter of time before they find us," I said.

"Maaan... There's gotta be some way to lose those guys! What room is this, anyway? It's too dark to see anything."

"Good question."