Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Cater flashed the red-haired boy a grin. "Hey, Riddle! What's shakin', pal? You're lookin' adorbs, as always!"

The other boy frowned at him. "Hmph. Cater, keep running that mouth and you'll lose it - along with the rest of your head."

Cater rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry, sorry! My bad!"

"Myah?! You're the guy who put that stupid collar on me at the orientation ceremony!" Grim exclaimed.

"And you're the new students who were nearly expelled yesterday," said Riddle. "I'll ask that you not refer to my signature spell as a 'stupid collar.' The headmage's habit of tolerating rulebreakers like you is going to send this entire campus spiraling into chaos one day. Those who break the rules should have their heads removed immediately, without exception."

"The headmage may have forgiven you, but if you break any further rules, I assure you I will not."

"The punishment is supposed to fit the crime," I said.

"Who said it does not?"

"Any normal person?"

Ace and I exchanged a look. Then Ace cleared his throat and said,"So, uh, listen, housewarden, sir... Any chance I could get you to remove this collar?"

"I had intended to remove it once you'd taken an opportunity to reflect upon your crimes," said Riddle, "but I've not detected so much as a hint of remorse in the foolishness I've heard you spout today. So, I think I'll let you keep that for a while. Don't worry. The freshman curriculum is more focused on magical theory than practice. And your inability to use magic will help prevent incidents along the lines of what happened yesterday. Now, if you've finished your meal, you should quit gossiping and prepare for your next class. Rule 271 is quite clear: 'One must leave the table within fifteen minutes of completing their lunch.' You DO understand what happens to rulebreakers, I trust?

Ace sighed. "More insane rules..."

"I believe you mean to say, 'Yes, Housewarden!'"

"Yes, Housewarden!" said Ace and Deuce.

"Very well, then."

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on them," said Trey.

"Hmm. As vice housewarden, I trust you'll avoid any further indiscreet conversation. Now, as per rule 339... 'The post-meal beverage is to be lemon tea with two sugar cubes. Thus, I must go to acquire my sugar cubes. Farewell. Don't even get me started on their violation of running out of sugar cubes...!" With that, Riddle turned and walked away.

"Yeesh! That was terrifying," said Cater.

"That guy... has some serious issues," said Grim.

"He certainly is a character," I agreed.

"Hey, don't disrespect him!" said Deuce.

"Riddle managed to secure the housewarden title before the end of his very first week at school," said Trey. "I know he can come off a bit harsh, but he's not a bad guy. Everything he does, he does because he thinks it'll improve the dorm."

"Would a good guy go around putting collars on strangers' necks?" Grim grumbled.

"So what's this 'signature spell' he mentioned?" I asked.

"Hm?" said Cater. "You're curious about Riddle's signature spell?"

"That means, like... It's a spell that only he can cast, right?" said Deuce.