2

"Is that Teddy Croft?" asked Hadley. "It sure looks like him."

"It can't be," Maury said. "There hasn't been a whiff of that man in years. I think Rayna offed Teddy, Hadley. I really do. Maybe for the insurance money or something. After what Reeves Brody did to Eustian Singlepenny, I don't feel like I understand people anymore. It just ain't no telling what a cold-blooded killer is capable of."

Maury was fiddling with a lock of hair. She had a habit of twirling it between her fingers whenever she was nervous.

"I don't think she did, Maury. Rayna's a good woman. I'm just sorry we're not friends, anymore. And stop tormenting your hair! Lou Edna's good, but even she won't be able to repair those split ends you're causing!"

Maury dropped the strand of hair she'd been tormenting.

"I know what you're saying," said Hadley. "It was shocking. You may think you know a person, inside and out, but you never really do. Everyone's a mystery. Nobody can know someone's darkest secrets. It's scary if you think about it. But I still can't help feeling sorry for Avielle. She's lost her husband and her honey business. You're right, though, Reeves will rot in the state pen. Maybe I should send Reeves a card."

"What kind?" Maury asked. "What you gonna do, scratch out 'Get well soon, Dearie' and replace it with 'Can't be cheery but glad you ain't near me. Made any new friends in the hoosegow?'"

"No," Hadley said, "of course not. But have you ever thought about what you might do in a place like that?"

"Just because you're in debt up to your eyeballs is no excuse for taking a life," Maury said, tormenting that strand of hair again.

Hadley wondered if it the whole lock wouldn't come floating down on Maury's shoulder right there in front of her eyes. Split-end city.

"Do you think Avielle still loves Reeves after all he's done?"

"I don't know," Hadley said. "I love Onus, and he's just a stray tabby who decided to make his home at my house."

Maury stood on the sidewalk twining her hair into a nice, tangled knot.

"Come on, Maury," Hadley said. "Get in the car."

"What are you going to do?" Maury asked.

If she didn't slow down on the nervous twirls, Maury was going to make an eggshell look furry.

"Follow him," Hadley said.

"Let me get this straight, dear sister. You're going to follow a total stranger around Hope Rock County?" Maury said.

Yep, Maury's fingers were surely a blur of nervous energy. Hadley suppressed the urge to cough as images of furry egg shells tickled her throat.

"Why not?" Hadley said. "It's a free country."

"Well," Maury said, "it might be a free country, but if that man catches us and decides we're stalking him, it won't be so free for you and me. At the very least, Bill Whittaker will rake us over the washboard. You may not mind a dressing down from the sheriff, Hadley, but Bill's my husband. Remember? I have to live with the ogre. He'll be an ill pill for no tellin' how long."

"You're not fooling me, Maury," Hadley said, amazed that the hair in her sister's head still clung to her scalp, "you're just afraid those horizontal stripes on those prison jumpsuits will make you look fat."

Maury was still trying to make her mind up whether or not it would be worth the grief Bill would give her if they landed in deep dodo. This would probably end up being just a wild goose chase. But if she didn't go, what would she miss? Something spectacular. Something extraordinary. Or maybe not. Back and forth, Maury waffled in indecision.

"Maury," Hadley said, "it's now or never. Either you glue your bottom to this car seat right now, or I'm driving off without you."

"All right, Hadley Jane. Don't get your panties in an uproar. I'm coming, but I'm letting you know right here, if we drown in hot water, it's all your fault."

Standing on the street corner in front of the Greasy Spoon, Maury had an unobstructed view of one stop light to the other. Since there were only two lights on Main Street, Hadley and Maury also had a totally clear view of their target.

Hadley cranked up the car, gunning the motor, as Maury ducked into the passenger seat and slammed the door. Hadley pulled out onto Main, and the two sisters were off on their wild goose chase.